What's new

Borderlands Series discussion (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm playing here and there, I am just outside Sanctuary now. But I've got so much going on that I can't set aside time to definitely play with a set group of folks.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just bought my season pass.
Made it to level 21 last night.
Found better guns.
Had a good time beating a boss
Bloodwing thats been mutated. Is it called Rigged Bloodwing

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
In case anyone doesn't know and wants some background......Michael was a BL fan that passed away from cancer. The devs put him in BL2 as a NPC along with a secret achievement tied to him.
There is also this video for another request.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Thought I might try and resurrect this one and see where everyone is at.

Currently have a lvl 61 Commando and just in the past few days started a Mechro which is at lvl 18. Will probably run the other characters through as time goes on.

Most of this game has been solo play because I never felt like I was quite good enough to play with some of the "hard core" out there but have fortunately found a couple of people to occasionally play with that are pretty forgiving. I have found that I wished I had started playing co-op sooner because I really enjoy it.

Have a new character coming out next week and another DLC in mid-June so the game keeps going.

If anyone is interested in doing some co-op play let me know and perhaps we can hook-up.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I am on PC as well. Could never really master the XBox / PS3 controllers to be any good.

Been a PC keyboard / mouse gamer forever.

If you are interested in leveling up, co-op is the way to go because when a kill occurs everyone gets the XP and the loot drops are better as well.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Call of Duty and Resident Evil 6 kept me from playing this.I only have one character at level 22.I haven't even downloaded my season pass stuff yet.I'm going to start playing this again this week.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Don't think I have ever been so damned addicted to a game as this one.Well with the exception of Borderlands 1.

Kinda felt that way about the Half Life series but since that has been abandoned I had to find something to fill the void.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Going to be interesting how Kreig works out. Never been much of a melee player and it seems like he almost totally relys on melee to proceed.

I will be interested to see the final skill tree for this character to see what he can do.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Boooom, how ya like me now???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRbh2PZB_o&feature=youtu.be

Complete Borderlands 2 AND the Pre-Sequel for PS4 and X1. Count me in, I never did finish Tina's story!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I just started playing BL2 the other day. I didn't know much about it, except that there were lots of guns; I was intrigued by the style of artwork. I thought it was going to look kind of crude, but it really doesn't, it actually looks quite decent, stylized for sure, but well done and I stopped really noticing it after a while...so much for a main "reason" for buying.

I was very confused at first. Only *one* save file? Loot disappears very quickly (and dropped loot often before you can get to it if you use a sniper rifle at a fair distance). Enemies respawn very quickly. Very different than anything else I've played, took me a while to figure out how it all actually does make sense. Everything works very smoothly I think. The developers took a lot of cues from other popular sci-fi FPS games, all the best stuff I'd say (too bad the ME:A devs didn't do the same with their own recent product...), I see some obvious BioShock, Mass Effect, and Fallout ones.

I can see how people who like FPS games could spend a lot of time with this one, it'll do well on the play/$ quotient. My big mistakes so far are driving to places I shouldn't go yet (don't know how to tell) and thus confronting enemies who are somewhat above my "kill grade" (a couple are fine, but a whole gang of them is trouble for me). One thing I really like is the devs don't make you sweat the "small stuff", especially with regard to character movement. The game seems to know what you're trying to do, and it just works, unlike some other games that make it a minor pain to jump somewhere or take cover or pick something up. Sure it's a bit simplified in movements there, you can't do anything "delicate", but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay (which is shooting stuff, that's really all I think, so far). I also like the humor, it's everywhere, we're not supposed to be the least bit serious here.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
The Borderlands games are great, I loved the look of them. You don't always need to have super high rez human looking games.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, I am the last person who needs a game to look "real". The whole point of them, least to me, is they're not real. Like movies. And TV. :) (That's not to say I don't enjoy very good immersive VR stuff too.)

Sometimes I play a game, and for whatever reason, the gameplay mechanics, the UI, the story "pretense", I ask whether the devs actually ever played this game, or any game for that matter. Not in this case. These guys definitely know what they're doing. Sure the "game" (story) is trivial and merely exists to give you goals, but I'm not a big story guy in games. I just like the game, half the time I lose track of the story anyway.

I tend to wander (big surprise eh?) and one of the other things I like about this game is it doesn't stop you. You can do something, have an outcome that counts, but then do it again when you're supposed to do it and the play and outcome are different and you still benefit. Everything counts, but not in an e.g. ME/FO -type of way.

This is an excellent value in the PS4 combo pack. I already had the PS3 versions of BL2 and the Pre-Sequel for a long time (cost way more back then than the PS4 combo now!) so am going that way. It still looks very decent upscaled (many will upscale the PS4 version to 4K anyway). Because of the newer-platform versions there's still a very active "community" for this game, and game codes and stuff (good for all versions) are still coming out.

Richard_Hersey

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Hersey
Anyone here playing the Vita version? This is the only version that i have since i did not have Playstation or Xbox.

The problem is on the frame rate. it is so awful and even drop to 20 fps on some cases. I have tried to install the patch without any luck. Does anyone have suggestion or should i leave it?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't know if everybody except me knew this, but Gearbox puts out 10 new Golden Keys for each platform every 2 weeks. They expire after 2 weeks, so might be worthwhile to redeem them if you forsee playing this more in the future.

Mostly though, I don't have a lot of use for the stuff I get from the Keys, so far. I've usually found stuff I like or that suits me better elsewhere. The stuff you get is high-quality and level-specific, but not character-specific, so I think the latter is the problem for me.

Anyway, this game is not about keeping stuff for long, though the Legendary items seem to have a life greatly beyond what their level/specs would suggest, and the "red text" items often seem to do mysterious (to me) useful things that also aren't immediately apparent (they are often rather cryptic jokes it seems e.g. Gwen's Head).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I finally got BL2. I know I am late to the party.
I chose to play as Zero and so far I have played for about 12 hours.

This game is addictive.

Could someone explain what the Golden Keys are for and how to get them from Gearbox? I know they unlock that chest in Sanctuary travel station, but I didn't pre-order the game (obviously) so am I out of luck? Are there other ways to get some?

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I go here: http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key (hope posting that's allowed...). They're usually no more than a few days behind the twitter etc. postings, so expiry dates of the 2-week ones won't be a problem (redeem those first...I'm sure you figured that out...).

Be careful if redeeming a lot of GKs at once, as you might do. Apparently, you can only have up to 255 redeemed/unused at any time, the counter wraps around to 1 after that and you'll lose all the previous redeemed-but-unused GKs. You need to be at your gaming machine to redeem GKs, and the SHiFT site itself doesn't tell you how many you have at the moment, so you need to leave it and go into your game to find out your total.

I was "forced" into using a bunch of GKs since I had so many and hardly ever used them. That is, if I wanted to take advantage of redeeming the bi-weekly ones before they expired. What with me being a new player and having such a backlog of available GKs. Mostly I just get "junk" out of the chest, rare and expensive junk I would never use. I have very occasionally got some good stuff though, but as you get on in levels, it seems the loot drops are more useful, they usually have some good features more tailored to the current or upcoming missions (or maybe that's just my imagination). A lot of the guns from the chest seems to have bizarre combinations of excellent and terrible features IME, but shields (hard to get) and grenades (not that common) are generally pretty good and will last several levels at least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks