Bootup Fonts Way Too Large

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Houghton, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Robert Houghton

I dont know if anybody can help, but this is my story of woe.

My font size is way too large on my bootups and when I go into the bios I cannot get to the items at the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to change the size? I have Windows98,Viewsonic VG191 LCD display(new), and ATI 8500(new). I just installed the monitor and the video card, and got the latest drivers for each. I'm running digital to digital. When I bootup , those screens will show digital on the screen and I keep on getting the message to change to 1280X1024. I don't know if this is a monitor problem or video card problem. What controls these fonts on bootup? With the way it is now I can't do anything in DOS or the Bios because it doesn't fit on the screen. Once I get to the desktop everything is fine and I do have a great screen.

Thank You Bob H.

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

You'll find that most OSes boot in the most basic video modes possible; standard text and 640x480x8 bit (16 colours) VGA, because the OS can't guarentee that whatever it's plugged into, video card and monitor wise, can support anything else. And monitors have the ability to do very not nice things when you try to get them to do things out of their capabilities.

And if your video card can't do what you tell the OS it CAN do, then you cannot see anything to fix it. :)

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Your monitor should default to 25 lines per page. If you can change this in the bios but can't get to it, see if your manual has pictures of the bios pages and use the tab key and carefully count them out. Some bios's have a 'reset tab' on the main screen too.

Glenn

4. Robert Houghton

After playing around a little, I have found it will do the correct size and fonts if I go analog to analog. It will not work if I try to go digital to digital. I wonder if there is a fix for this?

Bob H.