Bootleg! The Latest on Almost Famous 2 DVD Director's Cut!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Mariotti, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti Stunt Coordinator

I talked to Cameron Crowe briefly tonight. Here's what he had to say about the new Almost Famous Director's Cut 2 DVD Set.
    It will be called the Bootleg: Director's Cut and have key artwork that will look like a bootleg record.
    It will have both versions of the film.
    He said there weren't plans for the Rolling Stone articles, but when I said that people wanted them, he said he would include them!
    Tons of Stillwater Footage (At Rock School learning to play) and the complete footage of all the Stillwater songs in concert.
    He said the DVD will really cool and it's for the fans....
    Lots more to come next week when I sit down for an extended talk with him....
    Thanks
    Greg Mariotti
    Cameron Crowe: The Uncool www.cameroncroweonline.com

2. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

That's a really cool idea... "bootleg"... it alleviates my normal anger at recuts/"enhancements" of movies.
    ------------------
    "We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Both cuts means, "To eBay, to eBay!"
    ------------------
    Joel
    [email protected]
    "I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
    digitallyOBSESSED

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Thanks for the great work, Greg. I can't wait!
    As a sidenote, Cameron Crowe is amazing. Any movie fan who hasn't read his book Conversations with Wilder should remedy that situation immediately. It's simply fantastic.
    [​IMG]

5. Greg Mariotti

Cameron is amazing. He's seems like the most down to earth, unassuming and approachable director out there. After my interaction with him, I would agree. He's been extremely gracious and appreciate for the site (he ribbed PTA about having to share me since I also do www.ptanderson.com). Next week, I'll have a chance for a long talk and I'm sure that will confirm it. He's a high character individual and doesn't appear to possess any of that "phony hollywood" personality.........
    Thanks
    Greg Mariotti

6. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

This was posted on the Bits:
    Almost Famous Untitled: The Bootleg Cut (Director's Edition) is a 3-Disc set (2 DVDs and 1 music CD) that includes a NEW Director's version, the original Academy Award winning version and an additional music CD of 6 never before released songs by Stillwater! Available at the S.R.P. of $34.99, the Director's Edition includes 36 minutes of never before seen footage! Exciting new bonus features on the DVD include a new director's commentary, cast audition tapes, deleted scenes, the shooting script, new menu music by Nancy Wilson and much more.
    I'll try to have a street date for you soon. Note that the 6-song Stillwater CD was originally created by director Crowe as a wrap party gift for the cast and crew. Very cool!
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

7. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Sounds cool, but is the music CD really necessary?
    I probably won't listen to it more than once anyways. No doubt that increased the price of the set by a few bucks.
    Oh well, still seems like a decent deal since we're looking at a 2-disc set of a great film.
    Now I gotta sell my existing Almost Famous DVD.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've got such a warm and fuzzy about this dvd! Unlike some other posters, I'm looking forward to the extra cd. If it were possible to wear thin CDs like you could LPs, then I'd be shopping for another Almost Famous cd. Easily my favorite movie...ever.
    And thats saying something.
    ------------------
    --
    Donald Roeber
    Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

9. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I guess this means the other DVD heads toward Ebay! I was really worried they wouldn't give us the original cut of the movie.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Mine, mine, mine! [​IMG]
    The Enemy (UK)

11. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Damn that's sweet
    I'm totally as excited for the cd as the dvd's. The soundtrack left me wanting to hear more stillwater!
    I can't wait to see their footage

12. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Well, Amazon thinks a new release is coming out 8/28.
    It's just the old release with a new (lower) price, $12.99. Looks like the dealers are trying to sell out inventory, probably in anticipation of the new SE.

13. Brian Einarsen

Brian Einarsen Auditioning

Sounds amazing! And I take for granted that the features from the first release will be included on this one...?

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so it sounds like this new edition will automatically include the cd? so it sounds like i'll have to pay extra for something i don't want? just so i can have the commentary and added footage?
    now i'm a little irked... [​IMG]
    don't get me wrong. i abso-freakin-lutely loved the movie, but i just don't feel like having to buy the cd. to me, the music was not what the movie was about.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on August 26, 2001 at 05:51 PM]

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Ted,
    Considering the decent prices one should be able to buy the SE at come time of pre-order and release, I would not worry about the additional extra price for the CD. Digital Bits stated it's a nice 6 track CD originaly made for the cast and crew only, it's not something you can buy in the shops and will be exclusive to this DVD release. Any fan should love this! I think it's a neat little bonus to make up for the wait...
    Dan (UK)

16. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I'd personally like the CD...
    Could we get some of Nancy Wilson's score too? I don't think there was a lot, but there were a few tracks beyond "Lucky Trumble" that I recall liking.
    The new edition is a must have. I'm going to hang on to the old one until the inclusion of the Rolling Stone Articles is confirmed.
    It's great to hear my initial feelings towards Cameron were acurate. He's one of my favorite directors.
    ------------------
    "What if he honks in the car?"
    "I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

17. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

18. Greg Mariotti

Cameron told me he would include the articles when I told him there was interest. I will be talking to him again in the coming week, so I'll ask about an isolated score. I know Nancy is doing some exclusive, new music for the menus.
    Trust me, the Stillwater CD is a very cool bonus. I doubt it upped the price much (if any)..
    Thanks
    Greg Mariotti

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good point guys. since i'm gonna defintely pre-order this one i guess the cost won't be too bad...
    i feel better now...thanks! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

If given the choice, I'd pay the extra five bucks or so for the CD. I mean, let's make a special edition a special edition. Please send along my personal thanks to Mr. Crowe. Although the original DVD certainly was nothing to sneeze at, a movie this good deserves the royal treatment.
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29