Bootleg laserdiscs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 5, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Is there such a thing? I'd imagine it's not something I have to worry about too much, because I'm assuming it would have been far too difficult/expensive to produce a bootleg laserdisc. With DVDs, sure, because recorders and media are common enough these days, but I'm sure that wasn't the case with LD. Am I right or wrong? Can I bid on eBay with confidence (in this regard, at least)?

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've never heard of one, so I'd say yes...you'll have no problems with eBay auctions. I picked up ~20 from eBay over the summer (after I got into LD collecting), and they have all been great.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I have heard of bootleg LD's in some Asian countries, but if they ever arrived here, I've never come across one or know anyone who has. They've never been a topic of discussion in any publication that I'm aware of. I've been active in laser disc since 1983 and am an active Ebayer in LDs - bought hundreds. I don't think there's ever been enough profit or market (in this country at least) to make bootlegging LDs worthwhile.

So, bid and buy with confidence.

4. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

While I agree that you may never see a bootleg LD, I will say that I've seen what appeared to be a Sony Laserdisc "Burner" on Ebay. It was twice the normal size, and expensive (with component video to boot. Odd for an LD player, I would think.)

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, there have been commercial LD Burners sold on Ebay that were used in testing. Good luck finding blank media [​IMG]
    They never bootlegged LDs because an LD costs about $8 to press. wayyy too expensive for your typical boot SRP

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The NFB in Montreal actually has a "Robothèque", a library of NFB films available on recordable Laserdiscs and transferred between the disc drawers and the disc players with the help of a big industrial robot. It's quite a sight to behold!

I asked them a few years back how they transferred the material to Laserdisc and sure enough, they used recordable Laserdiscs, a medium that is red in color and which is recordable on both sides. The technician would use a videotape or telecine machine to transfer the movie to the Laserdisc in real time. Before performing the recording, he had to make sure there wasn't a speck of dust on the disc otherwise the recording could be spoiled.

I asked them about the possibility of transferring a couple of movies for my personal enjoyment. I don't remember the exact price, but the cost of a single transfer could have easily run over $100 a disc. The blanks alone cost them quite a bundle.

So as far as bootlegs Laserdiscs are concerned, the material costs greatly exceed the price at which a bootleg copy could be sold. The format was its own anti-piracy device!

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I heard that some bootleg laserdiscs of "Jurassic Park" were found in Canada a few months before it was officially released on home video.

8. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
  9. Michael St. Clair

There were definitely bootleg laserdiscs released in Hong Kong years ago, but these are pretty rare and hardly any made it over here.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Chris
    WOW, pretty cool machine!