What's new

Bootleg Hellraiser DVD? (1,2&3) (1 Viewer)

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
All-

I recently bought Hellraiser 1,2,& 3 on DVD, and I suspect them to be bootlegs. The quality is horriable, and the packaging is as well. No where on the package does it say that they were produced by Anchor Bay. Now I am in a fight with the seller, who claims the company that produced the DVDs (I think Top Ten Home Entertainment) has full rights to do so. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Chimo

Ash Williams

Second Unit
Sounds like you got screwed. As far as I know, Anchor Bay owns the rights to the first two, but I'm not sure about the third installment. If the quality is horrible on the first two then they are bootlegs because Anchor Bay released them in a very high quality package, a limited edition tin if I remember. Good luck to ya.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Right, the first two are definitely anchor bay. However, the third Hellraiser was released in an el-cheapo version which you can find on e-bay. I remember a web site were you can bulk order DVD's, and Hellraiser III was there for like $4 a copy (if you bought at least 50). I think these are the majority of what is being offered on auction sites, etc. It is possible that "top 10" or whatever company owned the rights to the first 2 movies before Anchor Bay got ahold of them and made their own DVDs.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Perhaps these DVDs are from another region? It still sounds like you got ripped off.

Gregory

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
I'm seeing alot of Hellraiser sales now on Ebay, but they mostly appear to be the same set that I received. People are using this as "proof" that they are not bootlegs. The Hellraiser 3 that I received on DVD is acutally WORSE (sound/video) wise then the VHS copy I have which I taped off of cable! You can barly see the video! In addition, the only menu is a selection of 6 different scenes that you can jump to, or you can click on a "start movie" icon to view from the begining. BTW, the icon is spelled "Strat Movie" I am trying to contact Anchor Bay for the definitive answer, but have not received an email response yet.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
There's absolutely no way that the DVDs you own are the Anchor Bay versions. They're most likely bootlegs, but could possibly be a legit asian release.

I wish you luck getting a refund, but it will be an uphill battle!

Gregory

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
The company name on the packaging & disks is "Top Ten New Media". Right now, the money is not the issue- I should have checked before buying the disks. It's just that the disks are so bad, I would hate for others to get them, and think they are the real remasterd disks. Not to mention the seller of the disks is trying to get ME removed from Ebay for making false claims. You should see these things- I won't even use them for coasters!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks