Bootleg DVD???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Saul, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Paul_Saul

Paul_Saul Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased the movie Alien on DVD at

Half.com. It arrived promptly and was in good

shape - as advertized. What I did not anticipate

is that it had Chinese, Malay, etc subtitles

not the French, German, subtitles on the Region 1

release. It is coded as all regions so it plays

fine in my DVD player but it does not have all

of the extras that the Region 1 release does.

Does this mean that it is a Bootleg copy?

If so, does that mean that its video/sound

is inferior?

????

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

You got screwed!

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Save it, and get a Chinese girlfriend, and you won't feel bad about being ripped off.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hey guys -- be polite.

Thank You

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, almost definately a bootleg. Major studio films are virtually ALWAYS region coded. I say return the disc to the guy, if he refuses, complain to Half.com that you got jacked, and report the person to the MPAA for dealing in bootleg merchandise. A nice letter from them should put the fear of god into him [​IMG]

6. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Yes, the title is defnitely a pirated copy but the pirates are getting better at making these bootlegs.

It used to be that most pirated VHS tapes looked like cr*p. But since the advent of Video CD, computers, and new software technology...the bootlegs have become almost indistinguishable from the legal copies in terms of audio and video.

Huh?

Well most pirates can now wait for an R1 release of a title on DVD and using DeCSS, rip the audio and video portions from a DVD to a DVD-R. Or they simply use a PC to copy the audio and video to DVD-Rs. Heck, pirates even capture Laserdisc video and audio information to a PC and burn that to a DVD-R.

But the better part is that most pirates use real DVD presses to create DVDs that are going to work in 99% of all DVD players. They may not have the tools to do dual-layer discs or dual-sided discs yet but they can pump out single-layer, single-sided discs no problem.

Adding more fuel to the fire, is that pirates also now make their own subtitle streams. And good ones at that(I.E. near proper translations). Which is why many pirated copies have Chinese, Bahasa(Malay), and Thai subtitles.

Now the pirates have gotten their hands on encoding technology. So now they can take a Dolby Surround source or even stereo source and re-encode to Dolby Digital or even dts. These "soundmixes" are not true DD or dts mixes but they are encoded as such.

So yes, you did get a bootleg but I am pretty sure the bootleg has the same anamorphic widescreen transfer as the R1 release with the same soundtrack. You might not get the Dolby Surround soundtrack but I'm sure the pirates transferred over the Dolby Digital soundtrack.

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Paul-

As a side note: Ridley Scott is probably the best

director when it comes to doing commetary tracks

solo. They remain interesting. If the DVD you got

doesn't have his commentary, you are REALLY missing out.

Mark

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    You may want to contact the MPAA via http://www.mpaa.org/anti-piracy/contact/index.htm . With your paperwork from half.com and the bootleg disk the MPAA may exchange this for a nice proper copy of Alien. I can't believe half.com would be dumb enough to resell bootlegs.

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

11. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

There was an excellant news story on our local news out here about this very issue. The reporter investigated how some of the Asian companies are making these bootlegs at such good quality they rival studio releases. Some of these organizations have fully operational sound stages and sound labs woth millions of dollars. It has come a long way from the Seinfeld episode. It has become a billion dollar industry. This hurts all of us. As this becomes easier and more lucrative for the criminals the studio's are going to clamp down more and more until they finally come out with a divx clone or something worse. It will get to the point were non of us own movies again. Not to mention that when you buy these things you are in most cases supporting criminal organizations. The Asian gangs are killing each other over control of the bootleg operations. To each his own but I have become very vocal about this. We all should. If you know a place selling this stuff report them. Imagine not being able to buy a movie because the studios will only alow you to rent them off of cable or some other way. It will happen if this doesnt stop.[​IMG]

12. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

same thing happened to me on Ebay. I got a bootleg of Mission Impossible (had the same type of subtitles you noted) and Ebay did nothing. It's like the didn't care. That was the last DVD I ever bought from Ebay.

Mike

13. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    The specs sound like a certain Asia website product. The site even offers wholesale quantities and includes Fed Ex and American Express logos. That site has been in operation out in the open for at least a year. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME FOR ADDRESS. It is dificult for me to understand why the studios do not shut such operations down. As indicated in the earlier messages, the artwork can be so good that some dealers may order without realizing. But, they should take the responsibility to not support such stolen property.

14. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

I think it's a "good" thing that pirates produce high-quality stuff, since it's an incetive for the studios to price their own product better, and improve quality (where needed).

However, and this is the tricky bit, I do NOT want anyone to actually buy the pirated DVDs, since it'll hurt the legitimate sales and the studios.

Yes, I do have the bootlegged Star Wars (4-6) DVDs, but I promise I'll replace them with the real deal as soon as it's available (like I did with EP1).

I had a point somewhere, but I seem to have lost it. i think I'm saying that you should report the guy.

--Anders

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

What wasn't polite? Moderator, please clue people in for best results, thanks!

(No, that wasn't meant to sound sarcastic, I am being honest). (No, really, I am). (I am!).

16. Paul_Saul

I contacted the seller on Half.com and they said that

they would take it back - they also claim not to know

that it was a bootleg copy.

I will keep you all posted...

17. Paul_Saul

I was able to return the disc and obtain a

refund - including return shipping.

paul