What's new

Booth Bijou Garage Theater (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The Booth Bijou Garage Theater is still on hiatus because it's just been too damn hot around here. It was 94 degrees in our garage this afternoon. We have A/C in the garage for movie nights and it can keep the temp around 78 even on really hot days. But 78 plus humidity is a bit on the uncomfortable side and, boy, have we had humidity. For like 4 weeks straight.

It was even hot down at the coast tonight. Friends treated us to 'West Side Story' with the San Diego Symphony playing the soundtrack live. It was quite excellent but also a sweaty night. We did get a nice bonus in the form of an awesome sunset just as the performance was about to start.

i-tTRcTNH.jpg

We are hoping to fire up the Booth Bijou again in early September, provided this damn heat wave abates.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are finally firing up the Booth Bijou Garage Theater again, after a 4-month hiatus. Next weekend we will be showing 'Game Night' and 'Black Panther'. Cathy and I haven't seen 'Black Panther' yet, so I'm really looking forward to next weekend.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our guests REALLY liked 'Game Night'. We all enjoyed 'Black Panther' too but I think my expectations were too high. I'd rate it only 3.5 out of 5 stars after the first viewing.

Our next movie night will be 'Tucker: The Man And His Dream' and 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom'.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't that impressed with Black Panther either, Mark.

But I find most of those Marvel superhero movies pretty forgettable.

I still haven't seen Avengers Infinity War. But as I was watching Black Panther I realized I was growing quite tired of the whole Marvel Universe thing. I very much prefer a movie about a single superhero instead of these ensemble pieces. That's why I was looking forward to Black Panther.

I watched Deadpool 2 yesterday (for the first time). It made me laugh out loud multiple times and, generally, I found it a far more entertaining film than Black Panther. Still, I again found myself feeling worn out on the whole comic book franchise thing.

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I really enjoyed the Deadpool films too...mostly because they're so different.

For the same reason, I rather enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. But the rest just fade into nothingness for me.

About the only other series that stands out for me is (DC's) Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Coming up in 10 days at the Booth Bijou Garage Theater:

i-ppK8q5J-X3.jpg

i-wQqjPJj-X3.jpg

We "sold out" quickly for this movie night and we've got 6 people on the waiting list.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I both got a cold and we had to postpone last week's movie night. We'll be showing 'Eighth Grade' and 'Solo' in a week.

Mark

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I make my pop corn with corn oil. I stopped using butter. I put a generous amount of corn oil and it comes out like it is buttered. Just add salt. I am now curious on what it would taste like with coconut oil. I love coconut, especially in brownies. Ah the 8th grade. That movie looks like it would jog a few nice memories.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Wow I just checked the link to your Garage Theater and looked at the photo Booth. AWESOME photographs. I may have to use drapes in my house once I get the top floor remodeled. I will have an open floor plan so being able to bring a curtain across the room will work just fine. I like how you set up your center channel. I would just make it a tiny bit higher to match the mains. Put it in the same plane. This is my temporary set up until the remodel gets completed.

Attachments

• 20170411_070753.jpg
    20170411_070753.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I asked this over the in the Mac thread. But it's probably better suited here :)

@Mark Booth - Have you looked into slide shows or pre-roll sequences recently? I'm intrigued (and have done something similar using Emby's playlist feature for my Star Wars day this year). But the ones you linked too appear to be all five to ten years without updates. Do you know if any of them are updated, or if there are newer options? (Ive not done any searching yet on this myself... :)

If you don't have theater stingers, you might really like this: I bought three stingers from BallyWeg. I then extracted the surround audio mix from the original trailers and mux'd that back in to make the stereo BallyWeg stingers full surround. I was completely happy with BallyWeg's price and quality, and the extra work on my part only made it better.
https://www.ballyweg.net

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I asked this over the in the Mac thread. But it's probably better suited here :)

@Mark Booth - Have you looked into slide shows or pre-roll sequences recently? I'm intrigued (and have done something similar using Emby's playlist feature for my Star Wars day this year). But the ones you linked too appear to be all five to ten years without updates. Do you know if any of them are updated, or if there are newer options? (Ive not done any searching yet on this myself... :)

If you don't have theater stingers, you might really like this: I bought three stingers from BallyWeg. I then extracted the surround audio mix from the original trailers and mux'd that back in to make the stereo BallyWeg stingers full surround. I was completely happy with BallyWeg's price and quality, and the extra work on my part only made it better.
https://www.ballyweg.net

Yes, I purchased 3 or 4 BallyWeg custom trailers. I haven't remux'd the audio but I don't feel the need. I use a Dolby ATMOS trailer in my pre-movie trailers and it really rocks the place. It plays 1 or 2 sequences before the main feature starts so I actually prefer that guests don't get the full impact of the Garage Theater's sound system until just before the movie starts. It adds more impact to the ATMOS trailer.

I pulled the ATMOS trailer from one of my Blu-rays, BTW. The title was The Age of Adeline.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any new pre-roll slideshows. Sadly, AVS Forum is a victim of itself. The owner switched to using a specialized bulletin board hosting company instead of running it on V-Bulletin. That freed up a bunch of workload for the owner but, at the same time, alienated a lot of users. Participation took a real nosedive after the change. It's still not remotely close to the level of participation it enjoyed before the change. (Yes, I'm aware HTF did the same thing and, sadly, I think it impacted participation too.)

You might try PM'ing the guys at AVS that have done the various slideshows in the past. Perhaps they are still updating them but just aren't posting about them on the forum or using a different forum?

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a bunch of format stingers as well. DemoLandia is a fantastic resource. I have my media system automatically select a random stinger that matches the format of the movie being played. So if the movie is Atmos, one of a handful of Atmos stingers player; if it's DTS-MA, then a DTS stinger is played, etc.
https://www.demolandia.net/cinema.html

I like having remuxed BallyWeg trailer as the original stereo seemed mismatched next to the full surround trailers the followed. And having my theater introduced in full surround is pretty awesome :)

I'm trying to find a time to do a "Clue" movie party. I should start thinking about finding pre-roll trailers to go along with that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't "get" a lot of what you guys are talking about...but I've got to at least ask: what does "remux" mean?

:D

I thought it was a typo but since it's been used a few times I figure it must have a specific meaning.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't "get" a lot of what you guys are talking about...but I've got to at least ask: what does "remux" mean?

:D

I thought it was a typo but since it's been used a few times I figure it must have a specific meaning.
When you're messing with video files, you first demultiplex ("demux") the file into separate picture and audio streams. Then, once you've got the elements the way you want them, you remultiplex ("remux") the separate streams back into a single video file with synchronized picture and sound.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've got a bunch of format stingers as well. DemoLandia is a fantastic resource. I have my media system automatically select a random stinger that matches the format of the movie being played. So if the movie is Atmos, one of a handful of Atmos stingers player; if it's DTS-MA, then a DTS stinger is played, etc.
https://www.demolandia.net/cinema.html

I like having remuxed BallyWeg trailer as the original stereo seemed mismatched next to the full surround trailers the followed. And having my theater introduced in full surround is pretty awesome :)

I'm trying to find a time to do a "Clue" movie party. I should start thinking about finding pre-roll trailers to go along with that.

Thanks for the link to demolandia, I hadn't been to that site yet. The ATMOS trailer I ripped from Blu-ray is the one titled 'Unfold' on the demolandia site.

Another favorite format trailer is the "Amazing Life' THX trailer. I've stopped using it, however, since upgrading to my ATMOS AVR which doesn't have THX. Seems like false advertising! :)

I don't even have a full ATMOS system setup in the garage yet (it's in the plan, eventually, but a 4K HDR projector is the next item on the upgrade list). It's still a 5.1 system. But 'Unfold' sounds absolutely awesome even in 5.1.

I'm sure you are already aware of it but another great site for format trailers is:

https://www.demo-world.eu

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks