What's new

Boosting FM reception to A/V receiver (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Without spending more than about $30-40, whats the best method to increase FM reception? I have access to my attic, and already have RG-6 cabling running up there. I'm assuming that getting a powered FM antenna would be best. Currently I have a powered Terk UHF antenna, but it doesn't help w/ FM transmissions. Anyone do anything different or have any tips?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
A big VHF television antenna, not the powered kind, just a decent size, will be the best thing if most of your FM stations are in the same direction (say you are 50 miles away from a single big city). It'll also pull in the VHF and UHF television stations. You can put it in the attic rather than on the roof, unless your house is in a hole in the ground.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

What Christopher said – the best way to increase reception is with a bigger antenna. You can get the directional VHF antennas he mentioned rated up to at least 200 miles. Radio Shack or any electronics hobbyist store will have them. If your stations come from different directions, you need an omni antenna. I use one like this, but it's only rated for 50 miles or so.

https://www.tselectronic.com/antenna...2f874105 7d44

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
ok Thanks guys, I'll look around and get one. I live about 40 minutes from Boston, a lot of stations come from that general direction, but I think I may need a omni directional one. Not sure, at this point though, any antenna would help. Thanks again.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, I took the really cheap way out. I used leakage. I took my RG-6 line, and stripped it back several feet so that only the braiding, and center conductor were showing ( I even took the dielectric out), twisted it all up, and hung it in the attic. This basically allows all FM band signal to leak into the cable line and since its only connected to my Denon receiver, I don't have to worry about poor TV reception. I have excellent FM reception. I learned the trick at work earlier this summer while diagnosing ingress and egress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks