Boosting Cable Signal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdReed, Jun 30, 2002.

1. EdReed

EdReed Auditioning

I have ATT digital cable and the reception diminishes greatly after splitting the line to various sets. Is there an effective way to boost the signal to eliminate this problem?

Also, channels 4,5,6 and mostly 7 always have lousy reception, split feed or not. This is particularly annoying since these are the local network affiliates and most often watched channels. I was told by the cable guy that this was the "frequency area" that our cable is fed into and thus, poor reception. This statement is somewhat accurate as my neighbors and friends also have this problem. Does anybody have an angle as to fixing these issues?

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

2. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

If your signal is good when it is not split, then an amplifier/splitter should do the trick for fixing your diminished reception. You can pick one up at Radio Shack. I think they make 2, 4, and 8 way. You can adjust the gain so that the signal strength is the same coming out as it was going in. You will need an electrical outlet nearby to power it. If you end up using separate amps and splitters, you should amplify the signal BEFORE you split it. Otherwise, you amplify a bad signal, and it won't get much better (or it might get worse).

I don't know about the second part of your question with the specific channels.

3. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like the cable guy doesn't want to climb the pole , i think this is a junction box problem, their splitter is probably "leaking".