BOOP-OOP-A-DOOP! Must-have French set!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LaurenceGarvey, Feb 13, 2005.

1. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Now available from Films without Frontiers in France: BETTY BOOP COLLECTION, and it's a beauty. Five discs, 116 Betty Boop cartoons (1930-1939), plus four bonus Screen Song or Color Classic cartoons, all from the heyday of Max Fleischer. Arrived earlier this week, and naturally I haven't been able to do more than sample the set (we're talking FOURTEEN HOURS of cartoons here, folks) but what I've seen so far is terrific. Comes with a bonus CD featuring songs from Betty's cartoons. Highly recommended. I ordered it from alapage.com, and my total cost with shipping was about $80. Highest recommendation.

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I reeeally want this!

But I really wish Republic would release a definitive set here in the U.S. and am putting my faith into that possibility...

Is PAL speed-up a big issue, considering the cartoons are paced to the jazzy scores of Cab Calloway, George Steiner, etc? Is this noticable?

Also, I assume all the liner notes and packaging are written in French, right?

I might cave in and pick this up, but I just don't understand how Republic could sit on such a valuable and popular franchise which has been exploited to no avail in all forms of pop-culture merchandising, yet these films are still for the most apart unavailable on DVD in this continent...

3. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I've been told this matches up with the specs of the old Laser disc boxset that used a cleaning process that actually removed lines from the original drawings.

4. LaurenceGarvey

We've been watching these; at 120 cartoons, obviously there is a lot to plow through. So far, nobody has noticed speedup or missing lines.

Interestingly, you've got five choices of subtitles -- they're all in French (optional, of course) but you can select from from bright, cartoony colors.

5. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

There's a thread on the Criterion forums about them here. However nobody there actually seems to have the DVD and is assuming (not entirely illogically) that they use the same transfers because they follow the same format as the old Republic LDs. Can anyone with the DVDs take a look at the screenshots in those links (here and here) and confirm whether the DVDs suffer the same problems?

As an aside, how could there not be speedup?

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I can't get to that Criterionforums thread. In fact, I can't even find a link to register for the forum. Are they not taking new members?

7. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up. Just purchased it from fnac.com - 60 euros.

8. LaurenceGarvey

I couldn't log into Criterion either, but I did check the screen comparisons and then watched the two cartoons (BOOP-OOP-A-DOOP and BIMBO'S INITIATION) shown in the grabs.

First of all, both of the scenes depicted are in the middle of violent action; Bimbo being socked by a boxing glove and reacting, and Betty being throttled by the lecherous ringmaster. I watched the scenes at regular speed and in slow motion, and saw nothing wrong with them (52 in. HD screen, progressive scan player). So as far as I can tell, they're fine.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

It's been reported that the remasterings do suffer from the DVNR process and there has been a number of threads discussing the issue and set at CartoonResearch.com

10. LaurenceGarvey

Wow. This blows me away; we've been watching these cartoons and adoring them. I don't know what the problem is.