What's new

Boondock Saints....WOW (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Has anybody seen this flick...I just saw it last night, I was blown away. How could I have missed this, never even heard of it before last night. What a very cool flick...imho.

R~

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Yeah, this was a fun film, and I think that's why I like it so much. It just felt like everyone in the film was having a great time making it. My brother introduced me to this one about 6 months ago; at Christmas he gave just about everyone the DVD!

The director has a sequel planned, though I'm not sure what it's timetable is like. I think it may still be in pre-production.

You can get all Boondocked-out at The Boondock Saints Website

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Yep, see this about once a month. Too bad they didn't market the movie when it was released theatrically. They could have gotten a killing from the box office. It'll be interesting to see how the sequel has done know that there is a small cult following for the original.

Definatley the best $9 I ever spent on a movie.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Yup, just went out and purchased it. Definitely one of the best films I have seen in a very long time. And you can't beat the price,,jzzz $9.99 at best buy and C.C. For all those who have never seen it, run out and get it, you won't be disappointed.

R~

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I bought this a couple of months ago for $9 and watched it...never seen it before...I watched it twice that day...great flick and a ton of fun to watch!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard of a re-release of this film? I understand there is a sequel planned, I would hate to have to wait that long for a re-release since the current DVD is non-anamorphic and has pretty bad picture quality at that.

I know this movie made almost nothing at the box office, but it has a huge following now, so I would hope there would be a lot of demand for an SE. I am holding off on the $10 version at the stores since the picture quality is so poor, but I just might have to pick it up if nothing is in the pipeline for an SE.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I had gotten the Japanese DVD of this one because it's anamorphic and uncut. It also has different commenatries than the one on the US release.

Matt

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I must be one of the few that really wasn't impressed with this flick; very cool to see such a cult following of a movie comming from essentially it's video release

Greg Black

Second Unit
I clicked on this thread expecting to see something like: Boondock Saints....WOW WHAT A HORRIBLE LOOKING DVD!! Seriously, that is one of the worst transfers I've ever seen. Absolutely terrific movie, undeserving of such harsh digital treatment.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
In the commentary Troy Duffy, the director/writer said that the reason Boondock never made it to the theaters was because it was set for release right after the time of the Columbine shootings. Since some of that tragedy was blamed on violence in the media he said basically nobody would show it at the time.

There has been a lot of speculation as to what is going on with the sequel. I've heard everything from not enough money, to William Dafoe being difficult, to Troy is still stuck in the writing process. I'm not saying any of this is true, because as far as I know Troy has made no official comments on the status of the film, which is going to be called "All Saints Day."

There are so many great scenes in this film that I absolutely love. I've probably seen it 50+ times, but still enjoy watching it on a regular basis. William Dafoe's agent Paul Smecker is my favorite role he has done to date. The scene when he is recounting the shooting with the father and he goes crazy and starts firing his gun into the air is just insane.

"THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!!!" :laugh:

There are so many great one liners in this movie, I could go on and on. I still love introducing this movie to people who have never seen or heard about it. Every person I have ever shown this movie to said it was awesome.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Paul: What are you doing?
Hojo: I just wanted to cuddle.
Paul: Cuddle? What a fag.

CLASSIC!!!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Uh, the reason it wasn't released theatrically is that Troy Duffy alienated every single person he ever met (apparently), including the Weinstein Brothers, who he initially convinced to bankroll a bar he wanted to open (!). Apparently there's a documentary on Duffy due out soon.

Kamlesh

Auditioning
Agent Smacker is one hell of a stylish agent, thanks to Willem Dafoe's brilliant performance. It's one of his best. I have watched it just twice, but the really inexpensive DVD is one of the prized possessions. I have invited some friends over to introduce them to this FIREFIGHT cult.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The transfer isn't all that bad, it's just non-anamorphic.
Matt, no disrespect to you, but I completely disagree with you. Perhaps you and I have different displays that we watch DVD on, but Boondock Saints is probably one of THE worst looking transfers Ive seen on DVD. We're talking the whole plethora of DVD transfer no-nos, excessive digital artifacting, hazy/soft picture, washed out colors, shimmering, etc. I've seen plenty of good non-anamorphic transfers (The Abyss and Freeway come to mind). Nevertheless, I agree with Greg, this movie is great, but it is VERY deserving of a new transfer.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Which DVD version are you looking at??? Just curious because it was re-released on dvd......

R~

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The US release is borderline unwatchable on a large screen TV. I even noticed a lot of combing in the picture.

The Japanese version is so much better.

Matt

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've got a 53" widescreen Panny, so it's not like I'm watching it on a 13" tv or anything. Maybe it's just been a really long time since I've watched it, but I do remember seeing worse.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Matt -
It might have something to do with the player. On my Malata, the Boondock Saints DVD looks almost like a PAL DVD when I don't have the proper video filter set as far as combing goes.

Matt

BarryS

Second Unit
I must be one of the few that really wasn't impressed with this flick
I'm not a big fan of it either. Seemed like kind of a Tarantino wanna-be to me, but nowhere near the brilliance of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction (or even True Romance). That's just me, though. A lot of people dig Boondock Saints and that's cool. I'm not gonna piss on the parade.

However, I must say that Willem Dafoe is indeed a hoot in this flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks