What's new

Boomy subwoofersound-Help (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I use Monitor Audio ASW110 connected to Nak AV-10. The living room in the apartment has all wooden floor. My sub is in a corner, but has about 60CM space from the back wall.
Because it sounds boomy, I have set the sub to audio (instead of video, which adds several decibles), set my Nak sub control to -10 (lowest possible). I also have turned the bass down. Yet it still sounds boomy nand bassy. In my previous apartment (carpetted), I did not notice this. Can anyone help me out here? BTW, carpetting is out of the question.
------------------

Hi Tom,
If I were you, I'll trying to move the sub out of the corner. Is the boomy sound anywhere in the room or only at the sweetspot? Maybe add a carpet under the sub will help to.
Hope this help!
Good luck!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
You need to move the sub around until your room stops causing the boominess. You can place the sub where you normally sit and then go crawling around on the floor :) listening for the spot where the bass sounds the best.
May just be that your room is causing peaks at the frequencies that you find sound boomy and exaggerated.
------------------
/Kimmo

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You can also use the Radio Shack SPL Meter ($35) with a disc of test tones (e.g. Delos label "Surround Sound Spectacular" about $18 or others) and then use that as a guide to see what different placements produce. You can also use the SPL for HT levels and the Delos disc has other frequencies and one disc of surround sound music too.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Some subs have built in EQ'ing that can be amplified in the wrong space. My sub creates a really nasty 50 Hz spike in almost every room I've had it in, save for one. I just had to move it into a smaller room. In extreme cases you could buy an EQ, but those are expensive.
------------------
Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks