boomy sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francisco_C, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

i have a kenwood htb 504 and have a boomy sub. what can i do to reduce the boom. i have it in a corner next to a window and facing out towards the listener. will polyfill help? if so how much? i have tried calibrating it with s&v ht tuneup dvd. any advice welcome

2. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Try moving it away from the corner a foot or two. Try the other corner of your room if possible.

You can't expect really tight bass from a $500 speaker setup, but playing with it's placement you should be able to get it acceptable.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I second what Kevitra suggests. I started out with the sub you speak of and it is just the nature of the sub to be on the boomy side, I am sorry to tell you. I found putting it close to seating under a corner table really helped. If you have this option you might want to give it a try. The poly should help to?

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I tried the corner thing with my Energy sub because everyone is like it'll be louder blah blah blah and found it was too boomy and lost too much frequency response in the corner I tried different angles/distances but still didn't like the sound I ended up putting it back next to my entertainment center where it sounds best not quite as boomy but much flater response and frequency range.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Two rules of thumb I've come across for sub placement:

1) In a corner for the highest raw output
    2) 1/3 or 2/5 along the longest wall for flattest freq response

I do #1, just because it works better in my room, but I also use an eq to tame the nastiest peaks. Take a look at this:

http://www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

6. DarylA

DarylA Agent

Francisco-
    Check out the March 2003 issue of Audio/Video interiors. The article starting on page 26 may help. Good luck.
    DarylA

7. Kenny WH

Kenny WH Stunt Coordinator

First let me say that I'm not at all familiar with your speakers.

But one thing you may check is the x-over setting for the sub. In a lot of the htb's in order to fill in for the lack of mid-bass punch in the small satellite speakers, the x-over on the sub may be set to a fairly high frequency which can make the sub sound boomy and generally poor sounding.

I used to have a POLK RM7000 sub/sat system which recommend in the manual to run the sub's x-over at 150hz. With this setting the sub sounded very boomy. I turned it down to about 80-90hz. Although I had a gap between where the satellites could play and sub, overall it sounded much more balanced.

In some cases it's just a poorly designed sub and nothing fully cures the boominess. [​IMG]

Good Luck,
    Ken