What's new

Boomy bass with Velodyne sub... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
To complement my Athena ASF1/ASB1/ASC1 setup which I recently completed in my basement, I decided to go with the Velodyne CHT-10. However, once I got it hooked up and started listening to the system, I noticed that the bass was much too boomy. The room is 19Wx13Lx7H, and no matter where I place the sub in the room, on the long wall, on the short wall, close to the corner, away from the corner and walls, it still sounds boomy. I have the sub turned up to the second notch (which is about 9 o'clock, the dial goes from about 7 o'clock min to 5 o'clock max) and the subwoofer level is at -15dB on my Yamaha 5650 just so that the bass doesn't give me a migraine.

I have no idea what I should do about this...should I get the smaller CHT-8? Could it be that the Velodynes just won't work in the room?

Thanks.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't already, definitely invest in a SPL meter ($30 at Radio Shack) so you can set the bass levels using that. Human hearing sensitivity rolls off so hard down low...trying to set the bass levels by *ear* can lead to very exaggerated bass. I would also set all speakers to small, at least to start.

Tom V.
SVS

John Beavers

Second Unit
I have a bad 40hz hump in my room, and my Velodyne HGS-12 would "boom" at this frequency. I used a Berringer feedback destroyer to tame this frequency in my previous system, now I use my Krell pre-pro room correction software to tame it. Your other choice to correct this is to find the frequency where your sub is exciting the room resonance and then cross over below that frequency. Hopefully your mains won't excite it as much.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
set the crossover as low as you can..that makes a much bigger difference than the level sorta.....Use the subs internal crossover as it can go to as low as 40HZ if I remember right. If you use the receivers crossover it will be a lot higher. The velodynes are by their nature a bit boomy. They are not an extremely "musical" sub, but Ive used mine 2 years and still love the looks when it makes a great low bass rumble. Not the greatest sub but for the money it rocks.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
On my Velo 8100 I ALWAYS had the frequency cut-off set at 40Hz. for the best sound.

Technically speaking it doesn't really start cutting off at that exact frequecy (probably just under 100Hz), so you shouldn't worry at missing the next octave, because it's there. In my system, it took the Boom out of the sub.

So I agree with Kevin, but you may still have acoustic problems in YOUR room. Problematic room acoustics are always a problem.:)

JaimeB

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
The velodynes are by their nature a bit boomy. They are not an extremely "musical" sub, but Ive used mine 2 years and still love the looks when it makes a great low bass rumble. Not the greatest sub but for the money it rocks.
Which Velo's are you talking about? Must be the cheap ones. The higher-end models in the FSR and HGS series are not "boomy" unless set up improperly, and when correctly dialed into the system, are quite musical. Of course even the best sub can be cranked up too much, overwhelming the rest of the speakers for the sole purpose of making peoples' jaws drop with "a great low bass rumble".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks