BOOMTOWN Season 1 DVD reviews/opinions?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt_P, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Hey all,

I'm very happy that one of the most tragic cancellations, Boomtown, is finally out on DVD. My set hasn't arrived yet, so I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the quality, etc. I still find it odd they didn't release the entire series in one box, since season two had only 6 eps.

I for one did not even hear about the official announcment for this set--I knew it was coming, but was there ever a press release? I found out when I saw an ad in TV Guide last week about its 7/20 release date. It was pleasant, sudden news to me.

Thanks.

2. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    Hey Matt,

Did you by chance pick this up? Any opinions on it if you did?

I had forgotten about this completely, after reading about it a month or so back on Digital Bits.

Just saw it in a store today... I can't believe they didn't make it the entire series either. Oh well, not too big a deal since the show is too amazing!

3. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I bought it, have not gone through it except the first episode. I have most of the episodes recorded on DVHS and that look much better than the DVD. But I bought this mostly for the episodes that I missed.

4. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Hey gents,

I did indeed pick it up, and have sampled a few episodes. PQ is excellent, with very good detail, color and contrast. I didn't notice any digital overenhancement problems.

The sound, however, is a solid stereo track, but does not trigger pro logic on my receiver---kind of odd, considering this was broadcast in Dolby Surround.

I've listened to a few of the 6 commentaries, and they're informative and interesting (Jon Avnet and Graham Yost still have a passion for this show)---these are the real cream of the set. There are two docs on the last disc that have some in-depth exploration of the characters and the "Boomtown shuffle," or the show's innovative formula (that the network forced them to dumb down later on....[​IMG] ) with many of the writers, cast and crew.

The packaging is composed of a stack of plastic disc trays, similar to what you'd find in the Star Trek Voyager season sets, with a wraparound cardboard exterior that's affixed to the trays, which flip like pages of a book. Cheap, but nice artwork. There is no exterior slipcase.

All in all, this is a handsome set that can be had for very very cheap online. This was simply the best show on TV when it aired, and deserves a second look on DVD.

My highest recommendation, to be sure.

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I'm bothered that R2 got 5.1 tracks for the set, and we got stereo. What's up with that?!

Gord

6. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    Great to hear the quality is pretty good.

I have to say that I too am upset that there's no 5.1 on the R1 copies. It's not enough to keep me from buying it though.

7. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

I noticed the lack of 5.1 too [​IMG]

Oh, well, at least we have it on disc.

I wonder if S2's 6 eps will ever see the light of day....

8. Gord Lacey

I think they will. I know 3 commentaries were recorded for the final 6 episodes, so hopefully they will be released.

Gord

9. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    Let's just hope the remaining episodes will be priced at less than half of the cost of Season 1...

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

How many remaining episodes are there?

11. Gord Lacey

Only 6 for the second season.

Gord

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

How dissapointing. What a fabulous show axed by the network!

13. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I did see the producers were going back to form for the last 3 of season 2 since they were cancelled.