What's new

Boomtown (3/30/03) (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I found the ending very intriguing but I did not have sound on until about 20 minutes left and I saw the intro with sound as well (I had sonud on for Counter-Strike). I have a few questions..

Obviously Fearless has some past memories of being victimized of child violation..what was it?

At the end, was the man, presently known as Baxter, the preacher at the church?

Why was Fearless so ticked at Baxter for, not because he had messed with children but there was some significant personal anguish, why?

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Fearless was abused by Baxter (who now has found God and councels other Pedophiles) The preacher was a childhood friend of Fearless who was also abused by said same "Coach"
Fearless came "THIS" close to kiling the coach but knew he couldnt do it and live with himeself..plus the man seems to have truly changed for the better

DaveMcS

Second Unit
mmm not sure...
She knew the Coach was bad...but gave no reason to beleive she new Fearless was one of his victims...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I have'nt watched this weeks ep yet but I see it's preempted again next week. This is becoming more and more a show that NBC is showing it does not give a damn about

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
A pretty strong episode. I especially liked that the opened with the "coaching" on the roof.

Of course, outside of the intro, they still haven't put their "perspective" concept to much use.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Of course, outside of the intro, they still haven't put their "perspective" concept to much use
They seem to get away from that concept more every episode.

I thought that the first few episodes were cleverly constructed. Then it seemed as though the writers were forcing things a bit to make them fit into the concept.

Since the return of Boomtown, the show has come closer and closer to straight narrative storytelling.

I’m not sure if the concept was deemed too confusing for the audience or was just too hard for the writers to hit the mark every week.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling that they are planning on ditching it as a hook for every episode and just using it whenever it works for narrative effect. I've decided to stop looking for it.

I know other shows have abandoned gimmicks partway through when it became clear they had a strong enough cast to work without a crutch.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i thought the ending church scene made the episode, and i'm not a spiritual person. it may have been a bit sappy, but it moved me.

i think the perspective hook was a combination of viewers having a hard time following it(you know how that is, with the attention spans of most people) and the writers just having a hard time figuring ways to implement it without having all the stories seem the same. it's too bad, cause without the concept, boomtown isn't really any different from anything else on tv. that's not bad if the stories are there, but if not, there's nothing to attract and keep the audience.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
i thought the ending church scene made the episode, and i'm not a spiritual person. it may have been a bit sappy, but it moved me.
Fair enough I just found it to be very cliched. I thought was a sappy letdown after what was an "edgy" episode(with the rooftop scenes etc..). The episode should have ended after Fearless and Wahlberg's conversation outside the expedophile's house IMO. The rest seemed like tacked on sap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks