What's new

BOOMERANG WILL BE RELEASED (1 Viewer)

KellyBo

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Berg
According to a source who is associated with FOX the film noir BOOMERANG is expected to be released shortly. I was told there was a problem with the print and that is why the DVD was pulled right before it was set to be released. I managed to get one of the copies which somehow slipped out. I haven't watched the DVD as yet but in reading an advanced review of this DVD that person stated the print looked fine so I can't imagine what the problem was. In any case I am sure FOX will exchange any defective copies of this DVD if there are any problems.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh thank you. This means I soon can stop scanning by the "B" section of every dvd store I walk into to find stray copies of Boomerang!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I am pretty sure my Best Buy/Circuit City/Wal-Mart's have some copies left... If we are talking about the Eddie Murphy Boomerang that is. Is this a rerelease?

ry

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
No, we're talking about Fox Film Noir that was pulled by Fox at the last minute

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There was nothing wrong with my DVD. Video looked quite good. There was a second or two of rough audio but I highly doubt that Fox would do an expensive recall just for that. In fact, I don't recall anyone posting that their DVD had any problems. Absent any official explanation from Fox, I'm thinking this is a rights problem more than anything else.

Steve

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Is it possible the problem with the print isn't with the picture or sound? Maybe Fox realized there's some missing footage.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It seemed complete to me.

A fine source print-transfer, no awkward cuts or splices to be found. The soundtrack was equally fine. I'd say there were some legal rights issues in question that Fox might've sorted out. I can't see the discs themselves as being the reason for the apparent delay. They seemed fine to everybody who's managed to pick up an extra copy. Why Fox would than pull an expensive recall when it seemed apparent to most here (generally the most verbal and well verseved critics when it comes to issues with studio releases) that everything looked and sounded great, is a mystery to me. I'm willing to bet the transfer had nothing to do with it.

On a seperate note, I found the film itself to be a weaker entry into the series. Still enjoyable, questionable as to it's "noir" heading, but definitely not one of the stronger films that Fox has added to the line. I'm still happy I was able to secure a copy at regular retail cost given what some extremists were resorting to on Ebay...

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I paid around forty dollars on ebay and I don't regret it at all, a very engaging and entertaining film with some wonderful actors headed by the great Dana Andrews.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
According to the original announcement, wasn't the DVD originally supposed to contain deleted footage as a bonus? Is that in the copies?

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

There aren't any deleted scenes on Boomerang. As per the original specs at DVD Times only I Wake Up Screaming contains a deleted scene (about 4 mins long; Betty Grable singing "Daddy").

And I'm another who didn't notice any problems with the Boomerang disc. Must be a legal issue, surely?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Geez...

Why would anyone spend $40 for this on ebay when Fox will be releasing the title within the coming weeks? This makes no sense to me. Unless there will be something omitted/missing when the "official" copies are released, I just couldn't understand the logic/urgency of spending up to $50.00 on ebay for something that can easily be had for $10.00.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

Because there hasn't been any sort of official announcement that it is being released in the coming weeks?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Update: I went ahead and watched it right after my previous post. Transfer looked fine, sound was fine, so I'm doubting a technical issue was the culprit behind the mysterious recall.

As to the film itself, I'll go a step beyond what Marco said earlier and state that I don't consider it noir at all. It's a fine film, with a compelling story and good acting all around, but aside from having a semi-bombastic narrator and elements of police procedural (oh, and the bitchy waitress, who hardly qualifies as a femme fatale), it's a stretch (at best) to call it a noir film.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't know this particular movie, but I hope it'll be released (again) - having just one number missing in the line would be quite unbearable...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks