What's new

BoomBox with MP3 HD? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I spent roughly the entire night awake last night thanks to about a 4 hour thunderstorm. I saw the lightning happening around 12PM in the distance, so I shut off the computer....I was OK sleeping up untill the Thunder started. Normal, decently sized thunderclaps don't bother me, I can sleep through those, but with THIS storm in the Seaside Heights area last night, EVERY time I started going to sleep, or did doze off, I was awakened with a flash/boom combination that was less than a mile away, one I saw even as I was laying down, out the window.

So, I stayed up for about 30 minutes, the storm started to subside, went to sleep. Woke up 20 minutes later with ANOTHER bunch of loud/close claps. This went on from about 1 AM to 5:30 Am with either a slow moving cell, or one cell after another.

So, I got to thinking. I can't keep my computer on during the storm for some music that can drown out the claps. It's not really comfy to sleep with headphones on, and the MP3 player might get damaged if you sleep walk (wich I do).

So, have they expanded the Boom Box radio to compete with these portables, by having a rechargeable battery and a 100GB or so HD? Something where you can plug the boombox into the computer, download your songs and be done with it. This would come in SUPER handy during the NJ Summer Thunderstorm season, and my sleepless nights will thank you :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I was looking for Creative Zen (My MP3 Player) Accessories, but couldn't find a base station like that for it, yet. If anyone knows of one, most appreciated :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This is the only one that Creative makes. Check the requirements for the MP3 models it supports.

Although, if price is a concern, why not look into a cheaper boombox that supports MP3 CD's...

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Won't work in lightning storms. Surge protectors are only good for power fluctuations from the electric company. Against a lightning strike, any equipment in its way will fry and die.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I took a look( Bad gramm, I know) at the Creative link, and I don't see any reviews on the thing. Amazon carried it, but no one reviewed it there either. Guess this one is going to have to be a blind buy for next seasons storm months...

Anyone know someone who has it?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Add to that last reply,

How come storms ALWAYS come to the area around1 10PM-2AM?

There's another one heading our way as I type :).

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I bought a thing from Philips called a ShoqBox that was about $20. It only has 256mb of built in storage (IIRC) for MP3, but also has an FM radio built-in, line-in for plugging in any audio source, and an alarm clock. It runs for 8-10hrs on a charge and has pretty decent sound for a very small device. If you're interested, check their outlet/refurb section on their website.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
If your boom box has any kind of RCA input at all, just buy a $3 mini headphone jack to RCA splitter and your set.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

I did that once when I brought my old boom box to highschool years ago, but I have yet to see a Powercord less speaker with batteries or a lithium ion battery to charge it..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Thought I posted that explination earlier, but sleeping/tossing and turning, and Sleepwalking into the mix with a pair of headphones isn't so comfy :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks