What's new

Boom in The Room! Huge Room Nodes at 50 Hz and 25 Hz (1 Viewer)

SensibleSystem

Auditioning
Real Name
Maximus Lewin
System: Integra DTR 30.2 Paradigm Studio 20s on stands Paradigm Servo-15 V1 This is a new system in a 30x12 rectangular room with 8.5 ft ceilings. the HT is at one end of the room with the listening position right up against the long wall and the TV opposite with speakers on stands at ear height, 10 ft from the listening position. The subwoofer is to the left of the couch in the corner. I am NOT using the X-30 control, the sub out goes directly to the sub with nothing but a volume knob between reciever and woofer. Set-up was done using Audyssey 2EQ: I then changed speaker crossover to 80 hz to match the sub crossover of 80 hz. Integra set them at 40 hz. Using Stereophile test CD 1 and a Radio Shack SPL meter (set on slow, C-weighted), I set the volume to 75 db (using pink noise), and tested the response. It is not very flat. Most of it I can live with, but there are two HUGE hot spots: 50 Hz: +10 db 25 Hz +15 db (!!!) Before I go nuts moving the sub or other items all around, does anyone have any hints? Should I be using the X-30? Should I try to manually set the equalizer? Can the equalizer function be used without disabling Audyssey volume control etc? Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did you apply the correction values to the meter readings? I know nothing about Audyssey or X-30. As I stated earlier, I used a BFD to tame my room response. It worked wonders.

SensibleSystem

Auditioning
Real Name
Maximus Lewin
Moved sub about 1/3 of the way along the back wall (out of corner). Ran Audyssey again. Result: reasonably flat response down to 20 Hz, and probably usable past there, I don't have a test tone lower than 20 Hz. Sub is absolutely amazing. We had to turn it down watching Megamind tonight at 9PM. Even at -30 Db with Audyssey set on "medium" (60 db of dynamic range) it was ruffling our pant legs on the action scenes. Smooth, effortless bass, seamless transition between sub and mains. Outstanding. Since I sold the external X-30 crossover on eBay (not needed since Integra does bass management), I ended getting a world-class sub for about 300 bucks. Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks