1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Boom! Blu Ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Timothy Bodzioney, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Timothy Bodzioney

Timothy Bodzioney Stunt Coordinator
    Reviewer

Tim
    PMF, Andrew Budgell and TravisR like this.
  2. Message #2 of 3 Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Thanks so much for the great review! I saw this film when it opened. I guess I'm in the minority, because I didn't think this was a mess at all. Rather, a near masterpiece. Flawed, but fascinating, and not because of any kind of camp or gossipy undercurrent, but rather a serious examination of a very flawed but almost great play by Tennessee Williams about inevitability and messy endings. The film itself is messy, so either consciously or unconsciously, it illuminates the theme with its own imperfections, which somehow, for me at least, are nearly perfect. All one needs to do is look at the way Richard Macdonald's sublime sets are lit and the manner in which the camera composes even as it's liming the loss of that image to see that this film may have been chaotic in the making, but Joseph Losey's direction belies that. It's calm, serene and transcends all distractions, even the glitz that is part and parcel of the production, eyeing the gilded, marbled interiors with the same unhesitating gaze that one finds in the opening of Mr. Losey's previous film, ACCIDENT, a little baroque on the edges akin to Mr. Losey's next essay in loss & decay, SECRET CEREMONY. It's also unhesitatingly severe, like the temporary silence in the eye of a storm. Of course, many of those storm clouds were formed by Taylor & Burton, and yet, this might be one of Richard Burton's finest performances. When I saw this 50 years ago and Mr. Burton recited the last lines of the film, I wept. Of course I was much younger then. Also, maybe it was because I was expecting a train wreck, and was taken by surprise.

bujaki, Timothy Bodzioney and PMF like this.
  3. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    This is one film I never expected to come to Blu-ray, and I'm so glad that it has. Kino is releasing Secret Ceremony next year, and I hope it looks just as good.

Thanks for the great review!

Timothy Bodzioney and PMF like this.