Bookslhelf speaker for around $400 recomendation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Hi group,

Will be putting a new system together shortly, which will most likley consist of a Denon 1802 and a pair of bookshelfs and a center. I won't be putting rear surrounds in this setup.

I'm looking for speakers that come highly recommended in the $400 or so price range to demo next week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Aaron

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Well many of the speakers I would recommend you can't demo in stores. But for your $400, I would look at Paradigm Mini-Monitors and JBL S26's. Actually you can get the JBL S26 v1's online for $159. I think the new v2's run $300. If you want to consider online sources, think about Axiom mt22i's which will run $400, or $325 factory outlet.

3. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

I have CSW Newton M80 bookshelves and really like them, compared them to Paradigm, Def Tech and others. I bought them knowing I had 45 days to return them (I was sure that I wouldn't like them as much as my Def Tech) but I ended up keeping them. I just didn't like the biploar sound for music. The M80's balanced sound, especially with vocals and acoustic guitar, is what impressed me most. I think they are usually sold for $300 - $350 a pair, depending on which sale they have running at hifi.com .

Give them a try, you get 45 days to listen, and if you decide to return them, hifi.com pays return shipping. Can't beat that for a trial run.

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

For a pair, nOrh 4.0, Swan Diva 2.1, or Axiom M3ti. Locally I would look at Paradigm Monitor 3, B&W DM303, or something from PSB or Energy. The AR.com DIY speaker goes for roughly $300 a pair.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would strongly advise against the Monitor 3, and go for either the Mini Monitors or Monitor 5. The 3 has a noticable issue with sloppy, almost boomy midbass, that neither the Mini or 5 exhibit, IMO. The 5s are MSRP more than $400, but I was able to get mine for quite a bit less than that at my local dealer because the new 5s just came out.
    Having said that, the Axiom M22Ti would likely be a better buy than the Monitor 5 right at $400/pr shipped at Axiom's outlet ( Outlet ). I compared the M3Ti to my Mini Monitors back to back and I felt the M3s sounded a bit better at nearly $100/pr less. The Mini V3 is actually improved from the V2, and I would have to do a close comparison between them again, but price vs performance, the M3 would likely still be my choice. Had I known about them before I bought the Minis, I would probably have all Axioms now [​IMG]
    The S26 at J&R $159 is a steal. Impressive speaker for the price. http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...619&showcase=t

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Does anyone think, now that the "new." Diva's are out, that current owners will be selling their 2.1's to go for the new Rockets? Any possiblility of a nice deal here?

Aaron

7. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

8. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

Hi Aaron,

You might consider the CBM-170s from ascend acoustics as well. I just noticed they are having a big july 4th sale.

Great price on the speakers and they sound wonderful, very musical!

9. Gary PT

Gary PT Agent

Also, in Soundstage.com, check ouit the Axiom M22ti review. I tried to find the link, but their archive function seems to be unavailable. But you can access the full review from this page:
    http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22ti.html

10. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

11. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

I agree with Randy on this one--Ascend CBM-170's for $299 a pair???? Good Lord what a buy!!!! [​IMG]

12. Jonathan K

Jonathan K Stunt Coordinator