What's new

bookshelves or floorstands (1 Viewer)

kyleGR

Grip
Is there anything more advantageous in buying a floorstanding speaker over a bookshelf other than cosmetic? I am trying to buy great speakers, without going over $500.
For bookshelves, I have been looking at Swan 2.1 and paradigm titan or atoms ...and maybe axioms. For floorstanding, about all i think i can afford are Athena ASF2.
Any suggestions to nod me in the right direction?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No offense, but do a search; the bookshelf vs floorstander question has been covered extensively.

$500 for all speakers or a pair? If the whole system does that include the sub?

The Athenas get pretty good reviews. The Axioms are better than the Paradigm Performance line, and IMO, a bit better than even the Monitor line, so they are a good choice for the price.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
My personal experience is that floorstanders give a better bass response (sounds deeper) but that comes at the expense of some clarity relative to bookshelves. Also the bookshelves are tighter in the bass where the floorstanders sound a little boomy. Overall I prefer the sound of bookshelves to the floorstanders, and would save the money to reinvest into a better sub.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Get a good sub if your going with bookshelves. Also out of your choices the Swan 2.1 is in a class all it's own. I have heard the 2.1's in side by sides with Atoms, Titan, Mini-Monitors and the Studio 20's. The Swan's IMO were better than all of them. Even the Studio 20's. They were much better in the highs and not nearly as bright as the 20's.

Paired up with a good sub the 2.1's sounded better than Studio 40's.

MikeGee

Second Unit
well if all you can afford is the AS-F2's by Athena... then go for'em if they are in your budget. Dual 8" speakers. They sound so awesome. i'm getting a set but they are out of my budget for now tho. But it will all depend on what kind of receiver you have.. if you are running the best speakers through an underpowered receiver then its money well wasted.. What kinda receiver you running?

kyleGR

Grip
I am running a Denon, cannot remember the model, but I believe it has 65W -- maybe the AVR 1601 or something like that.
Right now it is running an older pair of Mirage bookshelves that I plan on putting in the rear of my 5.1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks