What's new

Bookshelves for Dorm Room (1 Viewer)

Ben Lindell

Auditioning
I recently bought a Denon DRA 685 for music listening in my dorm room and I have yet to find speakers to go on the receiver. I have listened to Titans and some Boston bookshelves, both seemed lacking in different areas.

Basically, I need a recommendation for a good set of bookshelf speakers that have a pretty flat response. I am on a budget here because of college but I really dont want to sacrifice quality. Space is also an issue because of the dorm room setting. Im a newbie to this and it seems a daunting task to me to pick a speaker that is right for me in my application.

Thank you for your help
Ben

Ben Lindell

Auditioning
First of all, I want to thank you all for your responses.
I am on a pretty tight budget and I would like to stay under 300 for my speakers. I looked at Wharfdale 8.1's because of the good rating as well as the Axiom line.
does anyone have an opinion on these speakers?

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ben,

You've already received some good suggestions -- check out the links below for a few more:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...?sku=MIRFRX3CH

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/dahlquistmains.htm (Keep in mind that prices listed are in Canadian dollars -- the exchange rate is in your favor so you'll pay much less in US dollars)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-640&DID=7 (If you don't mind building your own speakers, you could put this kit together in an afternoon. These speakers are highly regarded here at HTF and on other boards as well.)

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Debbie

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B11.htm

how bout the SCH k05b11?...surprisingly flat response

down just 6db at 46hz...

the only downside is that they start to distort at 95db...but if you don't listen at very loud levels...you should be a-ok

oh yeah...they are only $140

edit: they aren't shielded...i'm not sure if that's a problem for you

edit again: i'd also recommend the ascends

Ben Lindell

Auditioning
That might not be too good because my receiver is rated at 100 wpc. and those are rated at 50w continuous.
I found on jandr.com that the S26's are 150 with free shipping.

Im leaning toward those right now, with the mirages coming in second.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Both the Axioms and Wharfedale Diamonds are fantastic speakers and would make an excellent choice. The Axiom is the better speaker of the two, but the Diamonds are by no means a slouch. In fact, at their price point, the Diamonds are one of my personal favorites; providing excellent value for the dollar. I havn't heard the Ascends yet, but they are well reputed. I think if you choose any one of these three, you will have made a solid decision.

Lastly, if you have acess to a Wharfedale dealer near you, give the Diamonds a listen and then ask to listen to some Evo(Pacific Evolution) series bookshelfs. The Evo's are much better than the Diamonds and sill maintain an excellent value for the dollar (and they are nice on the eye with their real wood veneer). Off the top of my head, I think you can get into the Evo 8 bookshelf for just over $300 USD.

Best regards

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i would say axiom or ascend. i havnt heard ascend but people usually say they're very similar to the axioms. i own paradigm atoms, paradigm titans, and axiom m2i. the axiom m2i are pretty flawless for my purposes. if you arent using a subwoofer the m3ti might do better, but the m2i is extremely accurate through midrange and treble frequencies (m3ti is a little recessed in the midrange in comparison). definately the axiom are better speakers than the paradigms.

george king

Supporting Actor
check out the RAD Micros at $200/pair at
Link Removed You get custom made speakers in one of 3 finishes of your choice, made by a guy who does fantastic work.

Hope this helps.

Steve-sas

Agent
I have that exact reciever and I am currently using a pair of Polk RT25is along with a set of Classic Large Advents on the B side and I am extremely pleased with the results. The Denon goes well with the Polk RT series. This speaker is hard to find now but Polk's next generation of this speaker (RTi28) is being upgraded so this speaker can be had for under $200. I currently use a small sub with the RT25i but they did a pretty good job without the sub. If you have a Circuit City close by go give the RTi28s (or maybe the step-up RTi38s) a listen or check them out at Crutchfield. I think they may meet your criteria for a flat response. I have found that Polk is an underrated Co. and their speakers offer excellent value for the price.

Curt Gilker

Agent
Ben

JBL S26's for $150 with free shipping is a solid deal, and I believe you will be happy with them. They are fairly efficient, producing good volume without requiring lots of power. The Denon should power them sufficiently, certainly enough for a dorm room.

I have the Axiom M3ti's, compared them against the JBL S38's, and for my purposes (100% music, wide variety), the Axioms are better. Where the S38's stood out vs. the Axiom was its ability to "rock" harder (i.e. more sense of "slam"). Axiom overall was superior on detail, space, image, clarity, etc.

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks