Bookshelfs that attach to stands

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew Pezzo, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

There is a possibility that I may have to sell my beloved BP7001sc's for some bookshelf's due to a compromise I might have to make with the wife (thats a topic for another day). I have had bookshelf speakers in the past and don't necessarily mind having to get some but the biggest problem I have is not being able to find any that physically attach to the matching stands. I don't understand why this isn't more common since it is very easy to knock off a speaker on accident, especially with kids or pets around. Sticky tape and rubber bumpers don't do it for me, I need a physical attachment to the stand (like with screws).

So, that being said where should I look? I know the Energy Veritas would work but I am concerned that my receiver would not be enough to drive them (from what I have heard). I have a Denon AVR-3803 (110 wpc). If I agree to make the compromise I would be looking to spend about $1500 - $2000 for the front three speakers. I would then need to get a sub so I guess keeping the budget closer to $1500 is preferable.

I love the bipolar effect of the Def Techs but from the speakers I looked at so far I am not having much look finding anything to meet my needs. Every speaker website I search says nothing about the speakers attaching to the stands, hence my need for help.

2. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I am using Boston Acoustic VR-M60's as my main and center speakers and they have a hole in the bottom that matches up with the Sanus Steel Foundation stands that allow a screw to secure the speaker to the stand. This was a requirement for me as well as I have small children and pets.

The Boston's sound very good to me as well.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels that attaching the two securely is a must.

I have to believe there are others, if I have to go through with this painful ordeal of changing my speakers I want to try out as many as possible.

4. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

The Onix Rockets www.av123.com speakers attach to their stands as well.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

6. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I ran my veritas 2.1's with a Yamaha receiver, a 992, only 85 watts per channel. That receiver ran them just fine. Your 3803 should run the 2.1's or 2.2's just fine.

As with any nicer quality speaker, a seperate amp would make them sound better. I eventually put a Parasound 855HCA with my veritas speakers and they did sound better.

I really think that you will be pleased running the veritas with your 3803.

Jeff

7. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

a friend of mine uses velcro. right now i am using nothing, but am considering using velcro. my stands have spikes on the top so my speakers rest on spikes and i think i have enough room to do it. i haven't yet though because i don't want to mess with the finnish on my ref1's in any way. so if anyone else has any good ideas, please post as i am very interested as well (and very nervous about my speakers because they have a very slippery finnish).

8. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Does anyone know the price for a pair of the new Veritas I bookshelf's? I know the matching stands are expensive, like $450, which may push me over budget.

9. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

10. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Both the Rocket 150's and 250's are able to be screwed into the matching woodtech stands sold by www.AV123.com . I have a pair at my house of 250's connected to the woodtech stands and they have very good stability.

Jon_K, I use sorbathane with my Ref 1 and it works great. There is a guy on audiogon that selling it for $20.00 for a 12x12 sheet.

11. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

12. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Dynaudio Coutour 1.4 + Stand2's

13. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    You can usually find some on Ebay. I did a quick search and here is a pair of 2.1 with stands and 4 days to go. I would watch this auction. No reserve.

Veritas 2.1 with stands

I would also look at Audiogon and see what they have.

Good luck.

I sold my 2.1's only a few months ago and the stands. I sold them to a friend for $350 for the speakers and $125 for the stands. I know, I gave them away. But that was all I needed to get my new speakers.

Jeff Aguilar

14. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

15. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

The Tannoy Profile series are threaded to attach to dedicated stands

They're discontinued in Europe, but may still be available on your side of the pond!

16. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I just saw on B&W's website that they have attching stands for thier bookshelf models. For some reason I didnt think they had any, maybe its just the lower end models.

17. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

I have a Denon 2803 and use NHT Superones up front (and for rears). The Supers have (I believe) a 10mm thread in the back for mounting to stands. To that end, any stand will work that allows for mounting to the back of the speaker. Not sure about the newer NHT SB models though, but I would guess they are the same.

Overall, I find the setup very pleasing for HT.

[edit] NHT also sells a stand made for the Supers and SB lines.

http://www.nhthifi.com/products_home.asp

dan

18. Marie_S

Marie_S Auditioning

What about Paradigms? The new studio version 3 can attach to a stand. The hole lines up with the hole in their recommended stands (about $100/pr), but as I see it, you can drill a hole in the top plate of any metal stand and it will work.

19. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Andrew,

You can get a pair of Veritas 2.1 for $499.95 here

They also have stands available. Not as good a deal as the auction on ebay but not bad either.