What's new

bookshelfs for $450? Polk Lsi or B&W 602s3?? (1 Viewer)

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to either purchase the LSi 9's or the B&W 602s3's. The LSi 9 is about $450 and B&W $500. They will be used as mains to my HT setup, about 70% for HT. I've listened to the 602's and seem to like smooth, not too harsh sounding quality of them. I haven't had a chance to listen hear the LSi 9's, but it seems like the folks in this forum like it a lot. Any opinions? please help Thanks in advanced!!

DanaA

Screenwriter
For a discussion of that particular Polk compared with speakers from Energy and Rocket, you might want to check this link. Hint: In the eyes of the person who did the comparison, the Polk, at about half the price, bested both other brands - keep in mind though that taste in sound is very subjective.

Click Here

DanaA

Screenwriter
Forgot to mention, that the author's review of the Polk is on page 6 of the thread, but the whole thing is interesting reading. I also should say that I have never heard the new line of Polks or the Rockets myself, so this is purely to refer you to someone who has. Good luck.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
That's quit an interesting thread.

I own a setup consisting of LSi15s a LSiC and a pair of LSiFX. I've also had the LSi9s in my house for about a week.

I power them with a TA-N9000ES amp and absolutely love em. I've never heard the B&Ws before though :frowning: The rockets are excellent speakers but I've only listened to them for a few hours one afternoon.

Unfortunately you're really going to just have to find some LSi's to listen to yourself. Though I suppose if your point is to have some people talk you into going and auditioning the Polks... :)

Brian

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
Wow that is a really detailed review. I guess I would really have to go audition the speakers myself. But i'm leaning towards the polks right now because I found out i can get them a little cheaper than expected.

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
Just want to toss out that the Polk's really require a high current amp to even start to approach their potential. They are a pretty heavy load and I've seen them shut down some beefy receivers. Just a consideration, not sure of individual setups.

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HK AVR520 receiver. That should drive 4 ohm loads ok right? I read on the HK FAQ online that the receiver should drive most 4ohm speakers.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
------------------------------------
Just want to toss out that the Polk's really require a high current amp to even start to approach their potential. They are a pretty heavy load and I've seen them shut down some beefy receivers.
------------------------------------

Uhmmm... no. Your reciever needs to be able to drive 4 ohm loads. If you have a semi decent reciever that has discreet amps it shouldn't be a problem. They do NOT require ALOT of current. I have LSi9's/c/fx in my HT driven with an onkyo 600 that maybe puts out a real 40wpc and dont have any problems with spl's in a 11X12X12 room. Granted, I dont listen at ear damaging levels either, but I dont ever feel like I'm getting old and my hearing is damaged either. I moved them to the living room which is open concept, and probably about 4 times that air volume driven off a 85wpc 2.1 setup and didnt even use 1/2 of that power, but that's a separates setup. If I were to put it on say, a non-es sony reciever, it would shut off.

The 9's are not hard to drive IMHO.

On the otherhand, the 602's are 8 ohm 90dB efficient compared to the polks 4/88. It's more or less a wash if your power is stable at 4ohm since you'll get more power out of an amp at 4 than 8. Also remember that the numbers are not concrete and the resistance/draw fluctuates depending on what frequencies you're playing.

I've heard them both, but not a/b'd. They sound different. There's some stuff I like better about the 602's and some stuff I liked better with the LSi9's. I think it will come down to what kinda stuff you're listening to, and if you're looking at a music or ht setup.

Personally I liked the LSi9's better. To me they sounded more full, less dry. I'm not a fan of metal tweets, unless it's a ribbon. Also, your compairing a 2 way with an MTM, which is another reason I think the 9's sound more full. If you wanted a brand comparison, the 7 would be more the equivalent of the 602.

Really, you're best bet is to hear them both. AmericanTV has the polk's setup in crappy listening rooms, and some of the nicer best buys had the lsi's. The 602's you'll have to go someplace more boutique-ish.

Not sure if you're a stickler on finish. The LSi finish is not as nice as the 602's. The veneer... has something to be desired.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Just thought I'd point this out but the Lsi 9's are $450 each, not per pair. The 602s are $300 each. It looks like the dealer is giving a good deal on the 602s at $500 but are you sure the $450 is for a pair of the Polks?

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I am able to get the LSI9's for a lil less than $450/pair through my friend.

I want to use these speakers for mostly HT..how are these speakers in a 5.1 setup?

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 5.1 setup(9's,C,FX) with a sub driven by an Onkyo 600. They sound pretty nice. I think you'd be pretty happy with them. And if you're going to get them for $450/pr, I think you'd be very happy with them esp at that price.

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
Update: tested out my new lsi 9's for about 3 days now. Sound quality is really nice, though these speakers don't have the "in your lap" feel like the b&w 602's did when i auditioned them. But for the money i spent, these speakers are great.

I'm powering these with a HK AVR520. Even though i cannot a/b them w/ the B&W's, the LSi's seem to produce deeper richer bass better than the 602 did. This is from sheer memory from my audition of the 602's about a week ago though.

Now my question is whether i should bi-wire these or not, because the manual says bi-wiring will improve the dynamics? I'm not sure what this means, but I guess i'll look for some extra speaker wire and test out bi-wiring. Any LSi owners hear a difference by bi-wiring?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks