Bookshelf's and amp

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew Pezzo, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Looking into getting one of the following set-ups:

Energy: Veritas 2.1i with matching center and surrounds

B&W: The new 700 series bookshelfs with matching center and surrounds

Paradigm: Either Studio 20's or 40's with matching center and ADP surrounds

As you can see, I am looking for a pair of bookshelfs with matching center and surrounds. I will be audtioning these in the coming weeks but had a few questions first. It seems like these are all musical speakers but my use is 99% home theater, I dont listen to much music. Is any of the packages I listed above better for movies compared to the others?

Second, I have a 300 wpc 3 channel amp. Should I be concerned if thats to much power for the speakers?

Third, any bookshelf I get has to be physically able to attach to the stand. Velcro and non skid pads dont cut it for me, I need a solid connection. Based on the brands I am starting with, should I expand my search to others? I want to keep the budget for the mains under $1000.

BTW, I will be getting an SVS at some point.

Thanks.

2. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Andrew,

If you are 99% hometheater then you will definitly want to do careful listening of how good the center channel is and how well it integrates with the bookshelves. Having heard both the Energy and Paradigm's (note that I think the Energy Veritas i series only has a 2.2, no 2.1), I think the Energy Veritas integrates better and has a better center then the paradigm. Also, you may want to consider spending less. There are several other speaker brands that come close or even all the way in rivaling the speakers you list for hometheater applications. The two I'll mention that I think especially excel with good center channels and monitors are the Onix rockets and Aperion Audio monitors.

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I have heard the B&W bookshelves...they are great imo. I have PSB Alpha A/V's...for the price, these can't be beat.

I paid 199.99 cdn for them and they rock...there are a few mods to do with them and then they are outstanding....

4. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Brian,

Thanks for the input. I have always been partial to Energy as the Take 5.2 was my first foray into HT. The only real downside to the Veritas are the outrageously expensive stands but they sure make it stable.

One thing that is really important to me is midrange and I will spend a little more to get it. I have heard nothing but good things about the rockets but to be honest I am not wild about the appearance of them. I know looks should be second to sound but I will starring at these every day.

I will definitely keep in mind the fact to see how the center matches with the rest of the speakers.

5. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Hey Andrew,

Don't get me wrong, I really really love the Energy Veritas speakers. In fact, they are leading the pack for my next upgrade. The stands are expensive. One thing I'm considering is hiring someone (possibly HTF's own Brian Bunge) to make some stands for me for a little less. I think Brian has said that he'll make some custom stands to go with most monitors for like 200 or 250.

-- B

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have a pair of Brian's stands.....outstanding! I am also auditioning a pair of his Micros.

Brian custom built the plate of the stands to utilize the thread insert on my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340's....so they are held in place nicely.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Blue tak is surprisingly strong to hold down speakers to a flat surface. IT took two people to pry my old bookshelves (paradigm mini-monitors) off their stands.

And I would also like to recommend you listen to Dynaudio audience 52s, and audience 52SE in this range. I went through similar upgrade choices: studio 20s, b&w 705s, and the dyns. I ended up with the dyns 52SE, but you should find a dealer and take a listen of you can, you might like them better.

8. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I will check out Dynaudio, along with some others I am sure when I go listening. There are a decent number of dealers all within an hour drive of me.