bookshelf wall mounting?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Geoff Rinella, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Geoff Rinella

I have a pair of JBL LXE 330s that I want to mount on the walls for my rear channels. These weigh about 15 lbs each. Due to the layout of my room, I need to mount them above doors. So they will be about 7.5-8 feet high. What is the best way to mount them? I was thinking about building shelves and firing them (behind my seating position) straight out towards each other. Would the shelves be a good idea, or are brackets better?

2. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Shelves are cheaper, brackets look a little better. Most brackets only hold the speaker approx. 4" from the wall; you can build your shelves to allow for speaker placement at any distance from the wall that you want.

15 lbs. isn't all that heavy, but I'd still make sure I used long deck screws or lag bolts to hit a stud on at least one side of the shelf or bracket. You can use model paint to paint the top of the screws/bolts to match your shelf/bracket.

PartsExpress.com has a number of brackets at reasonable prices.

3. Geoff Rinella

Thank you. I like some of those brackets. Would I need to drill holes in the speakers? What is the best method for doing this?