What's new

Bookshelf vs. tower (1 Viewer)

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
I use my system for 70% movies, 20% music dvd, and 10% audio cd's. I have a smaller room with about 100 watts per channel (8 ohm rating) to throw at them. Wht do you guys think?

Martice

Screenwriter
I use my system for 70% movies, 20% music dvd, and 10% audio cd's. I have a smaller room with about 100 watts per channel (8 ohm rating) to throw at them. Wht do you guys think?
Well, conventional wisdom would suggest that you would go with floor standers because of your 70% movie preference. However, the fact that you said you have a "smaller" room may mean that you may be better served with a pair of quality bookshelf speakers that can reach down to around 50hz before obvious roll off.

Floor standers require ample space to perform at their best. If your room is as small as you say it is (please provide room dimensions) then floor standers may hurt your over all listening experience more than help. Besides the obvious increase in dynamics and impact that floor standers bring, it won't mean anything if the bass is muddy and slow due to improper placement and room size restrictions.

In addition, bookshelf provide a higher level of focus, air and imaging in smaller places. The lack of dynamics that most associate with bookshelf speakers only really comes into play at higher volume levels and in your "smaller" room would most likely not come into play unless you like to play your music at party levels.

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
Our theater room is the room over the garage. It is 12x18 with a gable roof. Thanks!

Martice

Screenwriter
Go bookshelf. It shouldn't be hard to fill that size room with a bookshelf speaker.

Read the below link and this should help put things in perspective for you:

Link 1[/url]

Link 2

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a subwoofer?

If you will be using a subwoofer and cutting off both speakers at 80Hz anyway, then there isn't much difference as long as the bookshelves extend well below 80Hz. Invest the price savings on higher quality bookshelves instead of lower quality floorstanders, and you'll probably be much happier. It also is cheaper to get higher quality bass from a subwoofer than from floorstanders. You can often purchase a better bookshelf+subwoofer for cheaper than a floorstander (some with argue about integration problems on critical stereo music, but I've never heard someone complain about this with home theater).

Now with that said, it really does depend on the speakers you are comparing. I compared the bookshelf Polk Audio LSi9 to the floorstanding LSi15 and was a bit surprised how easily I decided on the floorstanders. With these particular speakers, I did not like the upper bass in the LSi9 which had a definite response peak above the 80Hz transition. I also liked the LSi15 lower bass enough to consider using them without a subwoofer for 2channel audio. So no matter what, if you have the opportunity to listen to your particular speakers go do it. It will make your decision much easier.

Marc H

Second Unit
If your emphasis was on music listening, I'd be recommending floorstanders for a more seamless bandwidth when listening in two channel stereo but given the room size and that the usage is mainly for movies, bookshelf speaker are probably best for your situation.

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a paradigm powered subwoofer. Any good recommendations for bookshelves under $500 per pair? I will also replace my existing center channel to match my new bookshelves. I currently have some older mini MKIII from Paradigm. I do not care for them on audio cds.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You can get a pair of Rocket 150s from AV123 of $400 plus shipping. If your budget can stand it, the 250s are $700.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
uugghh! Hear that sqeaking noise? It's that nasty can-o-worms being opened again. Do a search and you'll get more info than you can handle.

In that price range and with a sub, I'd go with bookshelves.

Personally, I have a strong preference for towers with a sub for both movies and music. I think it gives me a more seamless integration between mains and the sub and a cleaner mid and upper range. I could probably debate the technical merits of the issue ad-nauseum with the bookshelf camp.

But in the end, it will come down to your personal (and hopefully informed) preference... You need to do your own research and a lot of listening. Go with whatever you are comfortable with. Then remain in denial about the benefits of the other solution just like the rest of us.

Oh yeah...Welcome to the party.
--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks