What's new

bookshelf vs tower/floorstanding speakers (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Awhile back there was some talk about how you are better off with bookshelf speakers over tower/floorstanding speakers if you are looking at under $1000 price range of speakers.

Would anyone like to share thier opinion on this matter?

I was wondering as I was considering at one point the monitor 7's over the minis and I recall people were saying how you are better off with bookshelf speakers if you are under the 1000 price range.

I was thinking floorspeakers would be better since they'd be louder and overall more powerful.

Anyway any input on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I prefer bookshelf sized speakers over large floorstanders in this price range. I feel the bookshelves have a better midrange than the floorstanders & that the bass response on many large speakers is poor. Because I feel a quality subwoofer is necessary (regardless of mains) bass response is not an issue. However, getting a flat in-room bass response with large towers is an issue (lots of peaks and nulls). Finally, storing, shipping, & construction of bookshelves is cheaper (so more money can be put into the parts and design). Compare Paradigm studio 20s with the monitor series...

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Towers won't play any louder than book shelf speakers with the same driver complement, although they will give you lower bass extension (say 40Hz versus 60Hz). They may actually have worse power handling - because although sealed monitors are common, most towers are ported and ported speakers unload below the tuning frequency.

At under $1K a pair, price may also be no different by the time you figure in a nice set of stands. Higher up the food-chain (where sub-woofers are eschewed, thus forcing the use of bigger speakers) things are different.

If you don't like your sub-woofer for music, you might want the bass extension of tower speakers so you can turn it off. If you want to run Lexicon bass enhance without side subs, you might want tower speakers for side surrounds. Otherwise, you could be happy with either.

Monitors will make it easier to run matching screen channels (IOW, it will be possible without front projection, a perforated screen, few feet behind the screen...).

Assuming you can accomodate the cross-over needs (either flat response an octave below the cross-over point and steep (24dB/octave) high-pass; or matching poles and complementary slopes (-3dB point of 80Hz in a sealed speaker, 12dB/octave electronic high-pass at 80Hz)), either will work well.

Personally, the next three speakers I buy will be sealed two way monitors with a -3dB point of 70-80Hz.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do a search, this has been discussed in depth a number of times within the last month or so.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah actually I just did a search and it was indeed discussed in rather great detail. It seems what it comes down to is preference though. My main decisions lies in wether to have gone with monitor 7s as mains or just stick to minis all around.

In any case it is a tough decision I'll have to think about.

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
If I am understanding this correctly you are trying to decided on how to upgrade you mains. If you are wanting to stay in the Monitor series but still upgrade then I would say "yes, go minis all around".
If you are looking to upgrade your *system* and your price range is 1K, then I would agree with Greg_R's post and move into the Studio 20's. A great improvement over the monitor series. If I had to choose :) I would take the 20's over the monitor 7's.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Move to the Studio 20's. About $800. You can use Minis for rears, or even Titans. You will need the Studio-CC though. Studio 20's are quite a bit better than Monitor 7's, at a similar price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks