Bookshelf Vs. Floorstanding

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by George_Paq, Jul 28, 2003.

1. George_Paq

George_Paq Auditioning

I'm still deciding on the speakers for my new Home Theater setup but I came to a fork in the road. I am trying to figure out which is the better technology. I currently have bookshelf speakers from a HTiB which I got when I first started getting into Home theater (2 years ago)

I always thought floorstanding speakers were the best you can buy. Well I was proven wrong as it seems that bookshelf speakers are right up there with floorstanding in quality (in my sound tests anyways) But I'd like to hear your opinions on which one is the better one to go with bookshelf or floorstanding. Are there any advantages to either or disadvantages (other then size)

Thanks in advance for all your opinions

2. Justin_collins

I personally like towers. It just feels like you get more for what you pay. Plus you don't have to purchase stands, but sound and space should be your determining factor.

3. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Dunno if you're a bachelor, but chicks dig the towers. [​IMG]

4. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Well, the most common argument is that for the same price, you can get better midrange and treble from the bookshelves than you can from the foorstanders, but of course without the bass.

If you're going to be playing mostly movies, and have a good sub I would definitely recommend going with the bookshelves. On the other hand, if you're going to be listening to lots of 2ch. music in direct mode (without the sub), than I would recommend going with floorstanders.

I'm making this recommendation, because I currently have two pairs of speakers that cost about the same, one being a bookshelf pair, the others being floorstanders. More specifically, PSB Stratus Mini's, and Paradigm Monitor 11's. This past weekend I was curious, and I did different listening tests between the two speakers. Movies, 2ch. music, multi-ch. music, the whole nine yards. My conclusion was that for movies, and music with the mains crossed over to a sub, I would take the Stratus Mini's. On the other hand, if I was putting together a music system with no sub, I would take the Monitor 11's in a heartbeat. Their bass is so good. Nice and tight.

Anyways, sorry for being so long-winded, but if you're sticking to mostly movies, I'd go with a good pair of bookshelves, and a good sub, if you're doing a lot of sub-less music, I'd go with a good pair of towers.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think Nick read my mind. I agree with pretty much everything he said.

6. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I think the important thing is not whether you get tower or bookshelf speakers, but that you get matched speakers. For example, if you are going to use your speakers for home theater as well as music, I'd recommend getting the same speaker for the fronts, the rears, and the center. And unless you are planning to spend more for 5 tower speakers, I'd generally recommend 5 bookshelf speakers and a good sub.

I recently upgraded to 3 of the same bookshelf speakers for the rears and the center, and two matched towers by the same maker for the front speakers (they are exactly the same as the bookshelf but for their taller cabinets ports. The price difference was minimal and I felt that I got a little more flexability that way, even though I have a good sub. But I had my speakers made for me by EFE. If I had bought off the rack, I would have gone with 5 bookshelf speakers.

7. George_Paq

George_Paq Auditioning

Well my usage will be for movies and games, probably the only music that will come from the speakers will be the music in the games and movies.

I will be getting a subwoofer whichever way I go. As well it will be a 5.1 set. (possibly even a 7.1 depending on finances)

I thank everyone so far for the advice as it has been most helpful