What's new

Bookshelf suggestions for 2-channel? (1 Viewer)

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I'm looking for a set of bookshelf-sized speakers for my four season porch. I'm using them for 2-channel only (home theater is down stairs). I plan on putting them on stands and really prefer white cabinents.

I'm intrigued by the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s for $328/pair, but they only come in black. I haven't auditioned them (anyone know where I could?), but they fit my price range and have a good reputation.

I've also heard good things about Energy Take.

How about some suggestions?

Thanks!

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Energy Connoisseur's are great bookshelf speakers for under $300 (I paid $190 for a pair). I would recommend them but they only have black ash and maple finishes. The maple might work if you are looking for white. However the Take speakers are also great but I think the Connoisseur's are much better for music.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Scott- A group at avsforum.com had an "internet direct" listening party this past weekend with; Aperion, Ascend 170, Axiom M22, Onix Rocket 150s, and for the high end crowd; Onix Ref1s and VPMS 626s. Read their thoughts over there. You have to select audio then speakers the find the board at that forum..

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
One more idea for white is onecall.com for NHT superones being cleared out at $137.50 ea. I have not done business with Onecall but have read many positive reviews about them. Also, I think the word is to call them and ask for their best price which frequently is better than the price listed on the website.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
if you post your location you may find an owner willing to host you for listening
I'm in Minneapolis

The Axiom's seem like another good option, but the more I learn, I think the Ascend CBM-170s are what I'm looking for. Anyone in Minneapolis willing to let me hear them?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Scott-- I think shipping for a pair Ascend 170s is $16(that is at $8 each way). That is most likely less than a host gift and operating cost of your car to go to someone's house. If you don't like the 170s you are only out $16(less then the cost of most CDs) to get to test them in your room with your equipment for 30 days. That is a bargain in my book.

And yes, I do love my Ascends.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
The try-and-buy scenario is a good suggestion, thanks.

I sent Ascend an e-mail asking if there is any chance of getting a pair with white or maple cabinents. Black speakers would stand out too much with the decor in the room they are planned for.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I second looking at the recent LA gathering feedback. I own a pair of Ascends and live right near the AV123 crew so I have heard their speakers. I definitely like my CBM-170s and recommend them. You should also look at the Onix Rocket RS150 which looks great and sounds really good, but is a bit more expensive ($400).

The Ascends only come in black, but maybe David and Jason can give you other options.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I know Mark S. founder of AV123/Perpetual Technology/and distributer of Onix has had conversations with the guys from Ascend about helping them with other cabinet choices. I'd guess these would be from the cabinet maker Mark S. uses for Rockets and Refs if it comes to pass. I don't know what the extra costs would be for real veneer cabinets.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Ascend responded to my inquiry about available colors. They said the speakers are only available in black, but that they will soon (1-2 weeks) offer non-finished speakers so customers could paint them any color. Nice!

I went and heard both Energy and B&W. The B&W DM600 S3 are nice and small and sound very good. I already have the B&W 603 S2 for my home theater and I love them. The price is right too.

Decisions, decisions.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Purchase made.

I went to another hi-fi shop in town and heard the Paradigm Titan V3 bookshelf speakers. They were in stock, available in white (with white grill covers unlike the B&Ws), and had the best price of any speaker I was considering. They sounded good with very respectable bass for this size speaker.

I'm still breaking them in, but so far they sound good on my four-season porch.

Thanks for the help.

Paradigm Performance Series

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks