Bookshelf suggestions ~$200

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JasonS, Jun 8, 2003.

1. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Hey all, I'm going to have my basement finished shortly, and I'm going to be getting new speakers. I want to buy main speakers at around $200, then buy the center/surrounds to match. Already on my list are the paradigm Titans, and the JBL S-series. Can anyone suggest others I should audition? There is another thread about the Mirage FRX-3 at $150. Are these too good to pass up? If not, I could buy two sets for $300 and have my mains and surrounds.

Thanks for your help.

2. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Jason:

I am a bit confused whether you are looking to spend $200/speaker or $200/pair, but I am going to assume you mean $200/speaker. There are more good choices. I have been shopping for some HT speakers lately and here are a few that I really liked:

1. NHT SB2 (MSRP $200/each, but can be found for less): Excellent all around speaker with a good midrange and very good bass extension for its size. Images very well, with a well defined soundstage. Nice finish, too (gloss piano black or white). Recently won a shootout of budget HT systems in June issue of Home Theater Magazine (www.hometheatermag.com).

2. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 ($328): Available only online from Ascend Acoustics (www.ascendacoustics.com). Excellent monitor speaker with good imaging. Seemed to be a favorite of the reviewers in the budget speaker shootout held on another HT forum.

3. KEF Q1s (MSRP $499/pr.; Can be had for about $350-375/pr.): My personal favorite. Very clean speaker, images very well. Has wonderful dynamics, as well.

I think you would be pleased with any of these speakers and all can be the basis for building a surround sound system.

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I purchased mini-monitors at $250 per pair. I know it's a bit over your limit, but you may get lucky as I did and find a dealer willing to sell them that cheap. I think they would be much better than the titans.

4. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I just went to Best Buy and listened to the new Athena speakers that they sell and was very impressed with Athena's bookshelf speakers. They were around $180 for the pair. Boy they sure made the Sony's sound horrible. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'd like to put them head-to-head with my S26s.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up a pair brand new of Mini Monitors for $270, so you as noted before, check your local dealers for deals.

I would highly recommend Mordaunt Short MS902s for $239/pr+shippiing from www.ac4l.com. Very detailed and very good build quality for that price (normally $400/pr).

Axiom M3Ti for $275 (including shipping) are also very good performers for the price. A bit above the $200 budget, but worth that extra few $$, IMO.

Both the M3 and 902 are better than the Mini Monitor, IMO. I compared the M3Ti back to back with the Minis, then eventually sold my Minis (though I did not end up with the M3s...).

6. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Boston Acoustics CR line.
    http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...p?CategoryID=4

I have the CR85 speakers as mains, CR6s as surrounds, and the CRC center. The CR85s are $400 for a pair, but the CR65s are only 199 and sound great.

I'd also recommend checking out Infinity bookshelves.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I have JBL S26, and they are very good speakers for the money, but there are better, but for me they are the best $200 pair of speakers.

If your budget allows you to go a little up, Axiom, Rockets, Ascend Acoustic, Paradim, could be a much better choices.

John,
    What did you end up getting? I'm just curious.....

8. JohnKim

JohnKim Extra

i think that the mirance frx-3's are unbeatable at that price, and in my opinion they compete with the likes of the ascend 170's, and best them IMHO

you can also take a look at energy connoisseur c-1's and c-3's, and also mirage omni50 bookshelves

in terms of axiom's i have never heard them, but the general feel that i've gotten from reviews is that the cheaper m2ti is a more balanced speaker than the m3ti which gives more midbass, but colors the sound a bit more.... but take this with a grain of salt since this is all heresay for me

i would highly recommend getting 2 sets of the mirage frx-3's for $300. you cant get anything close to that kind of deal from the other models mentioned when factoring in price

9. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Everyone, thanks for your help. What mainly brought this on was the post about the deal on the Mirage's at AudioAdvisor. I was originally planning on waiting until later this year, when the basement is actually done.

I am not going to have all that much money to spend when all is said and done anyway. If I go with more expensive mains, then I'll end up spending more on the center and surrounds, so I need to keep that in mind.

The deal on the Mirage's ends tomorrow. I guess I have a little time to think.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Mirage FRX-3 for $150.00/pair is an unbelieveable deal. I heard them at a dealer before and they were amazing, but I just couldn't swing the $350.00/pair MSRP they were asking for back then. I currently own Energy C-1 and these are excellent as well, but the Energy retails close to $300.00/pair. The Mirage speaker is really a steal, in my opinion. Like I said in another thread, I would've purchased these is I haven't purchased the C-1 already. To think that for the price of 1 single pair of the C-1 (not that they're not worth it), I could've have 2 pair of the Mirage FRX-3.

11. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator