What's new

Bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

Should i put the Jamo D265 under the desk again with Denon on the shelf?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Need a subwoof

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iDesign

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Hello all, hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction.

Problem i seem to be having is after changing speakers that the bass is really really tinnie where im sitting.

Ill start off where everyone was "ok".

Fredde desk from Ikea
Technics SU-V550
Jamo D265 3 way bass reflex speaker under the desk (Short term - 265w -- Long term 150w -- Impend 4-8ohm)
Which combined with FX Sound Enhancer, really helped to dial out the heavy bass and lighten it up, sounds good tbh.

Then i thought that a set of bookshelf speakers would do my desk the world of good and gives me much more voice and should sound better? I was wrong.

The setup i just cannot get to sound correct....

Fredde desk
Technics SU-V550
Denon SC-F107 (60w IEC - 120w peak)

My main issues with it are:
Bass is traveling towards the front room door and sounds really clear. When i sit at the desk the bass is like its in a hall and has a tinnie vibe to it.
Bass sounds much more clearer even sitting on sofa which is 5 foot behind me.
If i stand up the sounds gets a little more clearer and bass feels a little bit more better.

Also note that if i turn off FX Sound Enhancer speakers really do sound like they are in a hall, voice included.

I can get pictures on req.

iDesign

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Little update;

Put the Jamo D265 under the desk (one with a broken tweeter) acting as a subwoofer, and have a fully working one on a speaker stand.

At first i had both Jamo's plugged into "Remote" on my amp but i think they was too powerful as it kept shorting the amp.

Unplugged all speaker wires and the Denon's went into "Remote" and i used the Jamo acting as sub wired up into "Main". (1 Jamo now not getting used)

Much much muuuuuch better! I have more control with FX also.

Any ideas that anybody would chuck me, maybing swapping the Jamo out for a sub?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There are a couple of problems.

First, the little Denon speakers simply aren’t going to put out the kind of bass the big Jamo’s did.

Second, the natural acoustical physics of a room: bass “chases” boundaries, while the center of the room is a kind of “bass hole” where bass levels are severely reduced.

A typical desk set up in a smallish room puts your head a few feet out from the wall and close to the dead center of the room. That’s why you aren’t getting any bass sitting down

Your sofa is presumably against the wall (room boundary). That’s why the bass sounds decent at that location.

When your stand up, your head is closer to the ceiling (room boundary). That’s why it sounds better standing up.

Basically, any small bookshelf speaker set-up requires a subwoofer if you want decent bass.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

iDesign

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
There are a couple of problems.

First, the little Denon speakers simply aren’t going to put out the kind of bass the big Jamo’s did.

Second, the natural acoustical physics of a room: bass “chases” boundaries, while the center of the room is a kind of “bass hole” where bass levels are severely reduced.

A typical desk set up in a smallish room puts your head a few feet out from the wall and close to the dead center of the room. That’s why you aren’t getting any bass sitting down

Your sofa is presumably against the wall (room boundary). That’s why the bass sounds decent at that location.

When your stand up, your head is closer to the ceiling (room boundary). That’s why it sounds better standing up.

Basically, any small bookshelf speaker set-up requires a subwoofer if you want decent bass.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thank you very much for the reply Wayne!

After hours of moving speakers here there and everywhere, i have it finally set up right for me!
(Ignore speaker on the cat post, thats getting put into storage)
79753883_545593759503494_724006884809375744_n.jpg

The Jamo (Broken tweeter, under desk) is doing brilliant job as a subwoofer, but one day ill be swapping that out for a real subwoofer.

Any decent subwoofers that anybody can recommend that would fit under the desk like the Jamo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks