What's new

bookshelf speakers with good base? (1 Viewer)

Darryl Henley

Auditioning
Hi all. This is my first post on this forum. I am in the process of putting together an HT system. The system will be used for HT most of the time, but when I do listen to music I want it to rock. I have decided to get the H/K 520. I had almost decided to get the Boston Acoustics CR85's for front speakers, then I read that the bass response was not that great. The Def Tech DM700 sounded great, but I can't afford them.

What bookshelf speakers have good bass response in the $600/pair range? How about the Energy Connoisseur C-3's.

Eric A

Second Unit
Try the NHT SB-3s. They are $600 retail and can be had on Audiogon and Ebay for around $400. They are -3db at 39hz and outstanding performers. Stereophile just gave them a great review.

Iver

Second Unit
Paradigm Monitor 5's have bass extension below 40 Hertz and list for about $520.

The B&W 602S3s are a good speaker in this range they should run you $540 a pair after a 10% discount. Listen for yourself.

I had them as fronts as well for a month and decided to upgrade to the 604s for a Subwoofer less 2-Ch operation. However the 602S are not bad at all for fronts.

Darryl Henley

Auditioning
$1100 for the Mini's is retail. I found them for $795 online, now if I could find a place where I could audition them.

Does anybody have any info on the Energy C-3's.

Darryl Henley

Auditioning
Eric, I just noticed you are from Lawrenceville, where would be a good place in Atlanta to listen to some of these speakers?

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Darryl,
See this thread that I started yesterday, similar topic:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=116605
I'm looking for bookshelves with great bass for a friend. I have Boston Acoustics CR85s ($400/pr), which have great bass and go down the 48. They're awesome speakers, but my friend has a fatter wallet, so we thought we'd see what else was out there. Other rec's included
Definitive Technology PowerMonitors
AAD loudspeakers
Vienna Acoustics Haydns
Good luck --

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks