Bookshelf speakers, shielded, under $200?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew_B, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for an inexpensive pair of bookshelf speakers that I can use for my computer. I am currently using a pair of Paradigm Titans, but because they are not shielded I cannot place them close to my monitor. I've heard good things about the old series 1 JBL S26s, but those arent easy to find anymore. What are some good current choices?

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

[​IMG]

Inifinity Primus 150....see review in current issue of Stereophile. $198.00/pair. Claimed to be better than NHT SB3 ($600.00/pair).

Yes, they're shielded.

3. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I have JBL S26's. I like the speakers but make sure you have room. They are not small as bookshelves go. Plus they weigh 22 pounds a piece which is heavy compared to some. You could condider the Axiom M2's. They are small and of good quality.

4. Andrew_B

I will definitely have to find the review of the Infinity Primus 150's. The price is very comparable to the JBLs.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Andrew,

Found them last night at CircuitCity.com for $162.00/pair with free shipping.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Paradigm atoms.

period.

7. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I read the review of the 150s, looked like an amazing speaker. I am using Athena Audition AS-B2s as mains in my HT, but the AS-B1's are under 200 and a nice little speaker. I'd say try to audition them (at Best Buy, it's hard, I know) then the 150s. Good luck and let us know what you picked and how they sound!

8. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

What version Titans?
    I can't Imagine they're not shielded.

9. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

I have the S26II's also....love them. Clean up to absurd levels. I got mine from the JBL/HK Ebay store...they are re-conditioned from JBL and come with the factory 5yr warranty. I won 2pr....I can not find a single mark or flaw...they were shipped (in factory boxes and shrinkwrapped)and look new. I won the first pair @$111, the 2nd $138. $26 each pair for shipping. They are big, and they are awesome sounding...movies, music, I'm blown away by them. Also have a pair of S36IIPM's as my rears...BestBuy is always clearencing them. I got mine shipped for $150. Hear others getting them in store lately for even less. (both regular and PM versions)

10. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I like my PSB alpha's...with a little mod, they are very very good. also, swan 2.1's are very nice too.

11. Andrew_B

Chris: While I am sure the atoms are a fine choice, I am currently using titans. If my titans are unshielded, I do not think the atoms would be.

Kevin G: I believe they are titan version 2s. I bought them a few years ago.

Steve: How much do the PSB alpha's and the Swan 2.1 usually cost?

If it was easier to find the JBL S26 I am sure that I would have picked up a pair by now. I'd rather not have to order these from the internet if I can avoid it.

12. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I second the Paradigms......also, for a little extra dough...the Swans 2.1's are really nice IMO.....I have them so I am partial. They are big as well.....27 pounds.

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You can get both the atoms and the titans shielded. They are definitely a superior speaker over the JBLs mentioned.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For computer speakers, the Atoms should work great. Sheilding is about $30 extra though, and the come unshielded by default. They sometimes needs to be special ordered, so you will want to check with your dealer. You will also be able to choose any color you want, as long as it is black, since shielded only come that way.

15. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

To who's ears? These are Studio Series II monitors....

And ordering over the new only means your dealing with JBL's online store. Of course a new Studio Series is due out in a few months.......

16. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

The psb's set me back 219 cdn.

the swan's are like 299 american.

if you get the psb's lemme know I will send you the mod instructions.

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

18. Andrew_B

Wow, those EPOS EL-3s got a great review. I may have to bump up my price range. [​IMG]