What's new

Bookshelf Speakers I can Run as Large? (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I am looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers I can run full range without any concerns. They should respond down to 40hz minimum and be no taller than 18 inches. they also cannot be rear ported. My budget is $1000 but I can go higher if its worth it. Any suggestions.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I have some bookshelf speakers that go down to 30Hz but they are out of your price range. I can't think of a bookshelf speaker in you price range even used that hits 40Hz, could be wrong. If you can exceed $1000 a little you can get some used speakers that should fit the bill.

Proac 1SC

Silverline SR-15

There are others but those are the only two that can be found used for close to $1000 and rated to at least 40Hz.

My speakers are JM Reynaud Offrandes and they do produce excellent authoritative tuneful bass in a 16"H x 16"D x 8"W cabinet.

DanKaps

Grip
Monitor Audio's Gold Reference 10's are rated to 40hz and do a pretty good job on their own. I was suprised a few days ago while watching TPM's pod race with my GR10's set to large and sub turned off. (I wasn't near reference level but it was still pretty impressive for a bookshelf I thought)

They retail for $1500.

Dan Kaps

I just realized you specified non-rear-ported only. The GR 10's have a rear port.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No problem, here you go...
Polk Audio
The RT55 Bookshelf goes down to 35Hz and can be set to 'large'. I run mine as 'large'. A beautiful sounding speaker with excellent build quality. They ballpark around $299/ea. I am sure you can do better online. I also run a Polk CS400 center channel, set as 'large'. It is a perfect match to the RT55s.
The only draw back is that the RT55s are 21 1/8" tall, a tad over your spec.
Peace Out~:D

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Look at the VMPS 404 (18" high, 44HZ, $450 pr.)
These are probably as close as you will get in all three categories
1 height,
2 40 Hz,
3 price
At that price you could buy two pair and put you solidly at 40hz for $900
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/blsdoc2.htm
OR...
Take the 808 and lay it on its side (15.5") 34hz for $800.
John Casler

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Do you have a processor with a variable bass frequency crossover. If you don't, setting your speaker to large is telling your processor that your mains are as good as your subwoofer. Consider the PSB Stratus Mini for bass upto 40 Hz.

Eric A

Second Unit
Thanks guys for all the replies. I do have a sub and will run the speakers as small but try and cross them over at 40 hz. I have done extensive testing in my room and if I cross them over at 80hz I get a large bass suckout (around 12db down) between 85 and 75hz. The type of music I listen to has alot of energy in this range. I currently have NHT 1.5s and they are flat to 53hz. I use them crossed over at 40hz but they strain if I am watching a movie. I do not like to change the xover each time I watch a movie and then listen to music. I am just tinkering with the idea of new fronts and if I got the info that I was looking for I would jump. Most everything everyone has recommended has been good but doesn't meet all my criteria. I'll keep looking, listening and waiting.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
What you need is new speaker positioning and phase tweaking, not new speakers. There is not a single speaker in existence that fits your requirements. Heck, most tower speakers can't go to 40Hz cleanly. Sorry.

If you have a good response running mains as large and then adding the sub messes it up... you have a phase problem. Try reversing your sub's phase or playing with the positioning.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I'd also like to point out that manufacturers tend to overstate the bass response of speakers, especially bookshelfs. The Klipsch RB-5 for example is rated as 48-20kHz +/-3dB, however its bass starts dropping off around 80Hz and starts to distort at louder volumes. It's really impossible for a speaker with a 5-8" woofer and of 'bookshelf' size to reproduce bass below 80Hz, especially near reference level.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
A couple more interesting speaker suggestions. The first suggestion seems to fulfill all of your qualifications if found used. If you don't know of this site yet, keep an eye on www.audiogon.com Great site for finding used or demo deals.
Proac Studio 100
16" H
FR - 35hz-30KHz
front ported
MSRP $1500 if you could find one used it should be at or below a $1000
http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/proacstu.htm
PMC TB2
16" H
FR - 40Hz-25KHz although saw review on website that didn't back this up
rear ported transmission line
MSRP $1200
PMC LB1
21" H
FR - 35Hz-25KHz again saw a review where they are 10db down at 30Hz
front ported transmission line
MSRP $2300 but again if found used should be close to $1000
http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/tb1sf.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks