bookshelf speakers for nearfield listening

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Evan:R, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Evan:R

Evan:R Agent

I'm interested in setting up some bookshelf speakers on my desk. I have Axiom M50ti's in the livingroom, but want something to hook up to the computer as well. How do their bookshelf speakers sound from such close proximity? What about the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s? If anyone can suggest another quality bookshelf in the same price range that excels in nearfield sound quality, please do so! Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Speakers used for nearfield that were not designed for such may sound overly bright. If this is the case, all you have to do is reduce the treble control.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

The Ascends actually do very well in nearfield listening.

There are some owners in the SF area. Visit the Ascend Forum and look for an audition.

4. Mike Carter

Mike Carter Agent

Head down to your local Guitar Center or Sam Ash music store and go to the recording department. They have studio speaker designed just for near field monitoring.

5. Evan:R

Evan:R Agent

Thanks for the replies guys! Any speakers in particular you care to suggest Mike?

Most likely I will order the Ascends, so I have the flexibility of putting them elsewhere for normal listening. I already have some Axiom M50ti towers, and am curious to see the differences between those and the Ascends.

6. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

If you don't mind the ported sound, the Alesis Monitor One Mk2s aren't bad. I think we got them for something like $300/pr. (It's at work, and we're using them for near-field monitoring... if we ever got the audio rig built right.)

Otherwise, I'd say there's nothing wrong with a pair of NHT SuperOnes... same pricish, mag shielding.

Leo Kerr
    Lkerr1@alumni.umbc.edu