1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Bookshelf speakers for HT & Audiophile, no Subwoof-Paradigm Studio40 v DT PowerMon700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

Steve (a newbie to this) here:

I am limited to getting bookshelf speakers, and no subwoofer, for a set-up that will be both home theater & pure audio... ~$1,000 for L/R... I was settling in on Paradigm Reference Studio 40s since they sounded nice for real music and had relatively extended bass range (true 3-way & extended bass)... then heard Def Tech PowerMonitor 700s with built in true subwoofer and now am not sure...?

What y'all think?

Is Def Tech PowerMonitor too HT for pure music?

Do Paradigm Studio 40s not have enough bass?

Other alternatives given no separate powered subwoofer...?

fyi: room is den/library home study, 16x13 ft., NYC apartment with built-in library/bookcase/desk wall unit, and probably going with Denon or Harman Kardon for DVD & AVR. Currently TV is 5 year old (not HD) Pioneer Elite RP.

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi S&K. Welcome to HTF![​IMG]
    You are not getting very quick responses because there is no clear choice between the Paradigm and Def Tech. (The DefTechs power monitors are fairly new as well.)
    Paradigm has a very good reputation around here. But DefTech owners, like myself, really like the quality & sound.
    So with no clear winner, we have to fall back to the basics.
    First: Tastes in speakers is like tastes in ice cream. Given 3 brands of chocolate and asked to order them from "best" to "worst", your order and mine would be different. The same goes for these speakers. You have to decide what YOU prefer.
    Second: Music is about accuracy, but HT is about impact. Music is a bigger challenge for a speaker. I'd suggest you go back for another audition and bring some favorite CD's. Listen to both and use Music as the deciding factor.
    If you still cannot decide, go with the cheaper speaker. (If they both sound great, save the money for DVD's).
    Hope this helps.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Why no sub? Are you limited to no sub for sure? That makes it tough. No monitor, or even floorstander can get the lowest octave loud and clean. For this you will need a sub. If a sub is out, go for the powermonitors, if a sub is possible in the future get the studio 40's.

Well, that's what I would do. But this is for you, not me so you need to decide on your own.

I still don't get why you can't have a sub.