What's new

bookshelf speakers for 2 channel music? (1 Viewer)

Sanjiva

Agent
I am running Yammy RXV-1200 with Def Tech Pro cinema series for my HT set up.

I am looking at upgrading my main speakers for better 2 channel music. I plan to use the Prosub100 as the subwoofer and am looking at good quality bookshelf speakers.

What would your choice be in the 500-1000 range? I do not mind going used also and hence the following choices come to my mind:

1. Paradigm studio 20, 2. studio40 (used), 3. B&W 602, 4. Dynaudio Audience 42/52 5. SF Concertino (used) 6. Vienna Ac Haydn (used)

What would be the best in my situation and what other speakers should I look at?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I would recommend the SF Concertino first. Available for around $7-8 hundred brand new via Audiogon, or the VA Haydns's. Quite a difference between those two, and the others you listed.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
ACI Sapphire IIIs used. Should be under $1k. Might even be able to get them as demos from ACI as they are changing to a new model. I had a pair of Sonus Faber Concertos which I liked a lot. Replaced them with the Sapphire III LE. Kept the same smooth, musical presentation but increased dynamics transparency. They image like crazy!

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
The best small speak I have ever used for music is Rogers LS3/5. It outperforms my Paradigm Studio 40 and Thiel CS2.3. However, it is not suitable for HT due to its dynamic limitation. So, I recommend Studio 40.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Saurav has a pair of GR Research bookshelf speakers for sale for $500 on the Hardware board. If I were you, I would check them out. I would buy them right now if I wasn't saving for a vacation.

It's fallen off the first page so you may have to scroll a little bit or do a search, but they are still there.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Neil, you always second me on the psb =) i guess we both have fallen into the psb cult huh =)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's are suppose to sound really good for music. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not like them. I have a pair of them coming tomorrow.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Monitor Audio is worth checking out also. But I second the Sonus Faber recommendation if you are comfortable with doing business on the gon.

-rob

Tim Reed

Grip
Well - - just got finished building EFE DIY.com bookshelf speakers. (see http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx) My neighbor has the Ascend acoustics (with the Hsu VTF2 and Outlaw receiver) - - so I can make a comparison to the Ascends. The Ascends are definitely good speakers. The EFE DIY is a GREAT speaker - - definitely a notch above the Ascends [soundstage, detail, speed, musicality]. My guess, and its mostly a guess (although I have been listening to very good speakers the last 20 years so its at least a knowledgeable guess - - my current other set of speakers are the Paradigm Studio 100 v2's), is that you will not do better than the EFE DIY for 325$ - - you might match it if you search far and wide (but it will probably either a DIY or a direct internet product - -there are some truly great designers of DIYs on the internet) - - or if you spend a little more money and get the GR Research AV1s - - they "might" be better (if so - - its not by much - - and others who have heard both send they are very similar). Both EFE and GR Research speakers (extremely well-designed also) get uniform praise from everyone who have heard them (you certainly wouldn't go wrong with either). With speakers this good, its usually just a matter of preference.

If you decide to build these - - purchase the crossover from Madisound instead of following the directions for building the crossover. Ed Frias has recently improved it (smoothed out a "rough" portion of the response - - rough being relative), and the Madisound crossover incorporates the fix.

In a few weeks, I will be able to tell you whether Ed's T-22's (990 + shipping) are as good as others have indicated (reviews have bordered on the "ranting and raving" end of the spectrum - - and after listening to the DIYs I beginning to think I know why).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks