What's new

Bookshelf Speakers - Best all-around value? (1 Viewer)

Rory

Grip
Hello,
Since we are both Rory's you know I would not steer you wrong.
Dahlquist.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Cheers!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I appreciate it, Rory (man, that's weird)

My grandparents like the small size of the Middies, though, because they were originally looking into some Bose.

Now I think a nice Atlantic Technologies sealed 10" sub would go good for them because they like orchestral stuff, and I've just turned them on to big-band jazz

Rory

Grip
Hi again,
Look into the Dahlquist Orbit 5.1 HT sat/sub system (the main speakers are only 7 x 4 x 4.5). Great quality and value. They look great too. You can get them for around $400.00 USD + shipping from Audioshop in Ottawa Canada. The exchange rate is great right now. Call Marc at Audioshop and pick his brain. He's knows all......
Cheers!
Rory
Link Removed
(633)233-2215

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
Those Dahlquists look like Paradigms!

Is the Dahlquist name owned by Paradigm now?

My best friend has a set of Dahlquists from the past, beautiful smooth sound, not designed for HT but awesome sound on most non synthesiser and non pipe organ music.

Bill

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The other issue influencing my choice is availability, and the fact that my grandparents only want 2.1 audio, not 5.1 audio or home theater. They never watch movies, and the Middies look like good small bookshelves that would go well with a small subwoofer. They haven't been around long enough to get any reviews yet, though, but they extend down to 100 Hz, and that is a good place for small satellites to mate with a subwoofer.

I personally think the Dahlquists are fine, but that's getting expensive when you consider that it must also be paired with a sub because their original speakers were really big bookshelf-types that they set on a stereo stand. I also like the looks of the Energy, and I think they sound nice and detailed.

But my grandparents are also very frugal and need for me to get the lowest-cost stuff that will still sound good. The HTD Middies look like they have solid cabinet construction and the color will match my grandparents' shelves.

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that you may be really buying these speakers for yourself, not your grandparents. Make sure they put you in there will. LoL grandparents with there big systems pumping there system with classical music. Ahhh..... anyways ya

bye

Rory

Grip
Hi Bill W,

They are not owned by Paradigm. This is a "new" Dahlquist. The name was bought and the tradition continued. I believe one of the "fearless leaders" of Dahlquist, a gentleman named Ian Brown, has been involved in R&D for Paradigm, Energy and Axiom. He teamed up with some other heavy hitters of the incredible Canadian speaker industry and started the new Dahlquist. The speakers are fantastic and deserve much more recognition than they are currently getting.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks