What's new

Bookshelf speaker recommendation $350 (1 Viewer)

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I have a Marantz 6200 with Klipsch fronts (KSB2.1) center (KV2) and surrounds (KSB1.1). My sub is a RAVA. I am unhappy with the sound provided by the speakers especially in 2 channel mode. What I would like are speaker recommendations in the 350 per pair region. The speakers have to be available in Black and should be bookshelf speakers. I like a fluid midrange, so I was thinking of B&W DM601S3 or KEFQ1s.

Thanks,
Ajay

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Ascend Acoustics(ascendacoustics.com) CMB-170 for $328 plus $10 shipping and you can try them in your own home for thirty days.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
JBL S38IIs, which you'll find from various places at $200-400. Best Buy is closing these out, so you might get lucky. Large for a bookshelf speaker, but very sweet.

I don't put much stock in speaker reviews, but if you do, read this: JBL S38 review.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Paradigm mini-monitors retail for $350/pr. QUITE the bargain! Available in black. I liked em better than the B&W 601s3. Take a listen if possible, I'm using a pair off a marantz sr5300, and they're wonderful.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Polk RTi38's of if you can snoop around and get a pair of used/unsold RT35i's or RT55i's. The 55i's are VERY large for a bookshelf (in heigth and depth at least). Great sound though.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I second the Ascends. Very well reviewed, and compare well with speakers costing 3 times as much.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I second the vote on the Jbl S-38's. You can get them for $249 a pair from JandR.com. I have 4 (along with the Jbl S-center) and they sound great for music and home theater.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The Ascend 170s I bought were for a secondary system and quickly relegated my Paradigm Mini-Monitors to secondary status. With the Ascends I'm hearing things; like brushes on drum, breathes taken, and the timpani, that I never knew were there before. I've got them paired with a Marantz 7200.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I wonder how the ascends compare to the JBLs. I had to modify the tweeter and midrange capacitors in my JBLs to clear up the midrange and reduce some of the grunge in them.

Now they are clearer and less fatiguing if you could imagine.

One plus about the JBLs is that they can play at very high SPLS without distortion. Something I havn't seen in many small 2-way bookshelfs.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Acoustic Energy EVO 1's. They have smooth highs and are much better for music than Klipsch IMO. They retail for $299.

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! Just ordered a pair of Ascends to try out. Owners seem to be more than happy with these puppies, so looking forward to 'em.

Ajay

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! Just ordered a pair of Ascends to try out. Owners seem to be more than happy with these puppies, so looking forward to 'em.

Ajay

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how the ascends compare to the JBLs. I had to modify the tweeter and midrange capacitors in my JBLs to clear up the midrange and reduce some of the grunge in them.

Now they are clearer and less fatiguing if you could imagine.

One plus about the JBLs is that they can play at very high SPLS without distortion. Something I havn't seen in many small 2-way bookshelfs.
i call bs.

nobody with the knowledge would change capacitors for the tweeter and not change the inductors for the midrange. nor would they change the capacitors for the midrange and not change the inductors for the woofer. now if you were actually smart enough to try that, then either 1) you'd have a certain frequency band getting duplicated by 2 speakers or 2)you'd have a certain frequency band missing in 2 speakers.

personally, i would've gone with the jbls. haven't heard the ascend, but the jbl's are pretty damn cheap right now... for the quality, you can't get anything better.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"...for the quality, you can't get anything better."

How can you make that statement when in the same sentence you say you haven't heard the Ascends?

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
How can you make that statement when in the same sentence you say you haven't heard the Ascends?
you're right, i can't make that statement and have it be true. however, i have listened to the HTM-200's. they don't really have much for me to compare with, and i hadn't even heard of the company until my friend got them... and from what i heard, there's a lot better out there for the price. true, they are a model down.. but it's not that much lower then it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks