What's new

Bookshelf shootout! Axiom M3, Mini Monitor, and some GRs... (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,

It's about 5ft^3 sealed and will be heavily stuffed with polyfil. I believe the Qtc will be around .6. Then I will use a BFD to boost the low end and reduce any response peaks.

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely considering it, assuming I have the time. I don't know if I want to ship a 100+ lb. enclosure though!

I'm thinking subs using the Dayton DVC 12" and 15" drivers along with the 250W plate amp would be doable.

Brian

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Martice,

My 1503 is in a 160l enclosure with a 6" flared port 28" long. I used 18" sonotube. I think I cut the tube at 38". That would compensate for the volume the port takes up the driver and the endplugs. I believe the tuning point is just below or at 20hz. I should come close to 118-120db from 20hz and up.

The amp I got off a friend. It is an audiopro MOS-1200. I was told it is about 15 yrs old but I paid only $350 for it. It is a mosfet design and I was told that it could easily push 1200watts all day. so I lucked out. Its also stable into 2ohms in stereo mode.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brian,

How complex is the AV1+ crossover? How many components?

BTW, if you need screws just contact Danny. I bought a bag of 50 from him for each of the sizes. The smaller size phiips for the tweeter and t-cup, and the larger hex screws for the woofer. Only costed $5 or so for the 2 bags. Perfect fit for the drivers.

I was playing with muy setup yesterday as my neighbor was gone. Turned it up to reference with TPM disc. The THX intro hit 108dB on the meter at my listening possition. That Tempest can Roar! It was LOUD!!! No stress at all from my MB1's or AV1's. I had to back off though because it was so loud I could barely stand it.

Needless to say, I'm happy with my speakers and new sub now...

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

The crossover doesn't look complex at all! There's an inductor on the woofers and an inductor, two caps (one is bypass) and a resistor on the tweeter. It's actually a first order filter on the woofers and tweeter with the coil and resistor acting as an "impedance trap" as Danny calls it, on the tweeter.

I actually have a box of 100 screws (philips head) that are large enough for the woofers and another 100 or so smaller ones that look identical to the ones for the tweeter and input cup.

If I had half a brain I would have brought the cabinets along with my kits home from the shop so that I could fire up the AV-1+'s before shipping the cabinets out to Martice. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to build my own real soon!

Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
I would've suggested that Brian but I didn't want to pay more shipping charges than I already am.
We could arrange for me to send the speakers down to you if you want to get a good listen. However, shipping is on you though. :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,

Actually, I've decided to stop by the shop and pick up the cabinets on my way home today. The biggest reason is that I don't want to have any issues with the internal wires being too short. This way I can make sure that everything is of substantial length.

I'll probably pick up my kits too so I can go ahead and pre-drill the mounting screw holes.

Brian

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian,

I noticed in the A/V 1+ pics that each of the three enclosures you built are the same. On the GR site the center has off-set tweets and a front port. Any reasons why you are going with all three the same and not doing the modified center?

Thanks,

CX

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Danny only does this for people that need to place the center in an entertainment center. He prefers the port in the rear for all applications but made this design change for specific customers at their request. The pre-cut baffles that we will be using will not have the offset tweeter.

Brian

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Got it. Thanks for the snappy response.

Am I correct in assuming that, when placing the center, vertical is preferable to horizontal? Also, does the off-set tweeter design mitigate any performance disadvantage to horizontal placement and to what degree?

Much thanks,

CX

SteveHood

Agent
Shawn,

I also live in Ontario(Markham). I recently purchased 4 of the original(parallel crossover) AV/1's (2 with black hole 5) and the AV1-C (also with Black hole 5). I currently don't have a good place to compare speaker right now, as I am doing my basement. But if you are near me we could setup a comparison at your place, in your system.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Steve,

I am just outside Niagara Falls, bout half an hour To be exact(Port Colborne) thats easily a 2 hour drive one way. But you are more than welcome. My system consists of:

Marantz sr-7000

paradigm Reference 40's

Paradigm reference adps(dipoles)

Paradigm reference cc

pioneer 5-disc dvd/cd player

Anthem mca-2(200wattsx2)for the front speakers

Energy microstar 12.1 subwoofer

Berhinger feedback destroyer pro

32" jvc d-series tv

My room is about 18'x20' but very odd ball shaped.

SteveHood

Agent
I don't know if I'll be able to make it out that way in the near future.(I have to finish the basement before the next child arrives). But, let me know if you are ever in the GTA in the near future. I am also using a Marantz SR-7000 to power the AV1's.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Thats not a problem. Every couple of months I am in the Toronto area to pick up parts for work. I may shoot you an email sometime if I am in the area.

GuyL

Grip
The fact that they are not as efficient as most speakers means you should have capable amplification to really get the best out of them.
The website states sensitivity at 88db for the AV1's and 91db for the AV1+'s, which I consider to be fairly efficient. Are these specs over-optimistic? I was considering these speakers, but I would only be pushing them with a 60wpc H/K 310 and now am not sure if that would be enough power.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Am I correct in assuming that, when placing the center, vertical is preferable to horizontal? Also, does the off-set tweeter design mitigate any performance disadvantage to horizontal placement and to what degree?
Chris,
Vertical is always preferable. I'm going to try both ways to see if I hear any major differences. As far as any possible disadvantages with the offset tweeter, you'd have to ask Danny about that. I build 'em; I don't design 'em! :)
Guy,
I think you'd be fine driving the AV-1's with the H/K receiver. A rating of 88dB is fairly average. I can't say for sure if you could run the AV-1+'s with your receiver. These are rated at 4 ohms so you'd want to make sure your receiver can handle it.
Brian

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
The website states sensitivity at 88db for the AV1's and 91db for the AV1+'s, which I consider to be fairly efficient. Are these specs over-optimistic? I was considering these speakers, but I would only be pushing them with a 60wpc H/K 310 and now am not sure if that would be enough power.
I'm running 88dB Paradox 1s (similar to the AV1, different tweeter) with 8W tube amps in a 20x15 room, and the third position on my preamp's volume control is too loud for me. I use these for music only, and normally listen at around 80something dB, so your requirements may be different.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When we did the audition, I did find that both the AV1 and P1 needed to be turned up a bit from the M3 and Mini, but they were certainly not what I would consider inefficient. 105wpc solid state, at and below calibrated ref level, and they were both happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks