What's new

Bookshelf shootout! Axiom M3, Mini Monitor, and some GRs... (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Very nice review Kevin! And that newbie instruction guide would be great. While I'm not a newbie at building crossovers (have you ever seen the schematic for the ACI Jaguars?), I really had to ask Danny for a few pointers concerning soldering those foil inductors. On Danny's recommendation I bought a high powered soldering gun to handle the foil inductors.

Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Saurav - Ravenswood is also one of my favorite wineries!! I absolutely love that stuff. Monte Rosso...mmmmmm I have a funny story about a barrel tasting there, for another day. :D If you like them, and are on the Napa end sometime, stop in at Madonna Estate on 121/12, just off of 29 (1-2 mi) and try everything. Theirs is my favorite cab of all.
Back to speakers...
I agree with Kevin, that on a budget, I would also definitely go with the M3Ti. It's fast, accurate, handles plenty of power without a complaint (I didn't want to drive them to distortion, but they were happy at REF level).
Also, for 2ch music only, my choice would be the P1s, while for day to day and dual HT/Music use, it would (will :D ) be the AV1s. Yes WILL...these will be my next speakers.
Phil, sorry to hear that you were not doing so well this week. There's always next time. I'll shoot you an e-mail today...
No wimpy wines!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Those foil inductors were a complete pain. They also got stiff and crackly the moment you put heat to them, which didn't help either. My crossover is pretty kludgy, but I'm reasonably sure I've got good connections, so that should be OK. I really don't want to take my speakers apart again :)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the great reviews! To Shawn and others - this is not a comparison of the GR and Axioms to the Paradigm Reference line. There is a very huge difference between the Studio 40's and the Minis. Also, at US prices the Minos cost $150 less than the GR kits. At Canadian prices, they cost less than half. An interesting comparison would be to AB the GR's with the Studio 20's or 40's. Still, the GR's sound like great speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since I haven't done an A-B comparison of the studio 20s or 40s with the GRs either, I will reserve judgement also...but having heard all of them, I do have an opinion that I will keep to myself (though made clear to those in attendance). I have a friend who has 40s, who I may be able to convince to allow us to do a comparison. If not, Bay Area Audio has been good about allowing me to take speakers home for audition, though I have never requested 20s or 40s. I will look into that Jeff. :D I doubt they will want the GRs to come in for any kind of comparison, but I can talk to Mike and see if he will let us do that. Just have to find one of them who is interested...;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Since I haven't done an A-B comparison of the studio 20s or 40s with the GRs either, I will reserve judgement also...but having heard all of them, I do have an opinion that I will keep to myself (though made clear to those in attendance).
I'd really be interested in your opinion. Someone emailed me a while back wanting to know my opinion of the either the Studio 20's or 40's (can't remember which) compared to the AV-1's. I've never heard any Paradigm speakers so I really couldn't comment.
Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I'm sure we could work something out. We'll have that comparrison between the studio 20's/40's and the GR AV1's eventually. I'm sure Bay Area would allow it, don't you think John? So long as we don't sway away any customers.:D
They let me take in my Def Tech pro monitor 100's to compare with the mini's before I got my GR's.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey when I get my AV1+'s up and running I'll see if we could organize a listening session here in the North East as well. Anyone intrested e-mail me and let's get the preliminaries out of the way.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
That would be great! Any direct comparison to the 20's and 40's would really help. If you don't mind:) I really have no big complaint with the studio 40's, other than I think I might prefer the silk tweeter. I find a slight bit of sibilance in women's voices with the 40's. At times and during loud playing it comes off as being harsh. though vocals are so solidly placed between the speakers you would think the centre channel was on. Another question. How loud do the av1's play. I some times get a little carried away when I want to listen to music.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Shawn. I spoke to Brian Bunge about this on Harmonic Discord.com and here's the thread inwhich we discussed the topic.
HarmonicDiscord.com
I'm very curious to see how the single driver AV1's stack up to the 40's as well. I guess the more fair test would be the AV1+'s though.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Shawn,

You will have to verify with John but I believe we took the AV1's to his calbrated reference level. Of course it changes with different speakers. The AV1's are less efficient than most speakers but they are tough and they can play loud when you ask them to. Even at those high levels we heard no distortion of the drivers at all with the speakers set to large.

I'll see what I can do about the comparison between the 20's/40's and AV1's.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,

One thing I failed to mention, when I was testing out my new Crown K2 amp (currently powering my dual 12" subs until I get the 18" built!) I was getting 102-103dB peaks measured with my Rat Shack meter on the Pod Race scene from TPM. Granted much of that output was coming from my subs but I also did not notice ANY driver compression whatsoever from my AV-1's.

Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
I can't wait to run the Av1+'s through it's paces. It seems that the AV1's already hold their own in normal use scenarios and even do a fine job when pushed to the limit. The fact that they are not as efficient as most speakers means you should have capable amplification to really get the best out of them. I have a B&K Ref4420 sitting at home waiting for them..
Oh and by the way, I received my drivers from GR Research today Brian. Now I'm waiting for that package from Rutledge Audio to arrive next Wednesday night. :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Oh and by the way, I received my drivers from GR Research today Brian. Now I'm waiting for that package from Rutledge Audio to arrive next Wednesday night.
Damn, talk about pressure! :) I opened up the box with your crossover components in it today and looked through everything. For some reason Danny sent me the terminal cups and ports along with the crossover components. Hell, he might as well have sent me the drivers too. I could have done the entire assembly and you could have unboxed them and set them up right away. At least my hands won't be tired from tightening down all those screws!
BTW, I gave my wife the warning this evening that I will be busy with the soldering gun tomorrow night!
Brian

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Looks like I might be selling some paradigm speakers in a few months. I usually listen to movies at -10 to -3 at the most. I have to finish my bp1503 sub first and my new couch doesn't come for another couple weeks after that I think its a go:D If it gets a little warmer I might just start building the cabinets. Last week it was 80 degrees. This week its 35 degrees. go figure.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I love the AV1+s....I was able to audition them at a local meet when Danny brought them. They sounded absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to build a pair for starters. The only thing I am worried about is assemblying the crossover, I have no experience in electrical anything. But it doesn't look that hard from the schematics.

Now I just can't decide which to replace first....my crappy DPL Aiwa receiver, or the Aiwa bookshelves that compliment the receiver. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey Brian. Do you have the screws? I didn't see the screws in the box I received. I can check again but let me know if you have the screws. Thanks.

Shawn - What are you using to push the BP1503 and what size cabinet are you housing it in?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,
No, I don't think I have the screws. I'll double check the box though. There was quite a bit of shreaded paper in there so maybe they are there. If not, I've got plenty of black oxide pan head screws that I can send you with the cabinets, or you can contact Danny and tell him you didn't receive any screws. Just let me know!
BTW, I'll be pushing my BP1803 with a bridged K2!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks