bookshelf opinions -liking what i hear about the JBL S38s?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Galen Morgan, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Galen Morgan

Galen Morgan Extra

ok heres the deal...i have a medium sized room and like listening to music and watching movies...ive been looking on this forum for a while now and tho im only 16, im hooked. so for some good towers which i would like i dont want to spend so much. so im looking at bookshelves, but if anyone could recomend some more budget minded floorstanding speakers let me know

i live in north east ohio and dont know of any high end audio stores..if anyone knows of any around please let me know. I was liking that i heard about the JBL s38's but i know theres plenty of options like axiom and paradigm and all that good stuff. All your recomendations are welcome!

id prefer to listen to the speakers but guess i dont have to. i just want to get some good sounding mains for now, with a reciever and a sub. the rest can come later.

thanks

2. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

I know that I have been thrilled with my upgrade to two pairs of S38's and two SCenter speakers. I love the fact that they do great double duty for music and any amount of movie mayhem you can throw at them.

Haven't they been discontinued though?

3. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

How much are the JBL's? I bought Mirage Omni 60's at Tweeter during the Thanksgiving Holidays. They were on sale for half off! $299. However, the last time I was in there (about two weeks ago) they still had $149 each on the tag. These speakers are pretty unbeatable for that price, in my opinion. I know they are rocking my world. My room is small though, 10' x 11' x 9'. But these two bookshelves alone give me cinematic levels of orgasmic bliss. [​IMG] I mainly use them for movies and games, but I am enjoying music on them as well. A great gaming showpiece is the intro sequence from Metal Gear Solid 2. Wow! It always amazes all who enter my room. [​IMG] Anyhow, good luck on your choices. There are lots of good products in all price ranges.

4. John S

John S Producer

These are some like best bang for buck deals, on speakers and a reciever. $250 and your rock'n on both movies and music.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=157391
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=297832

This for a reciever if you ever think HDTV and/or EDTV component video switching will ever be important for you.
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=157373

Do some searches on Yamaha NS-6490, they are decent ultra bargain bookshelves.

But none of these speakers are on par with JBL S38's...
    I think S38's can still be found for $250 shipped per pair.
    Those S38's have my endorsement, but can be costly to outfit an entire 6.1 / 7.1 system with.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I just got a pair of JBL S38IIs for my HT and have fallen head-over-heels in love with them. Great dynamic range; clean, crisp highs and really tight, really deep bass (they can go from a pin drop to nearly knocking you out of your seat no sweat). If I had the room and the money, I'd get a few more pairs to have all S38IIs in my HT and some left over. I also got the S-Center and find it to be quite impressive, as well.

They are quite big though, so realize you're going to need the space and the sturdy shelves for these.

I got the S38IIs and the S-Center for $349 *total* (232+117) + shipping at onecall.com

I emailed them last week and they have a decent supply of S38IIs left (they said they will likely run out next month), but they are getting down to the last of their S-Centers.

6. Galen Morgan

Galen Morgan Extra

i was at hh grgeg and they had the s38II's for 128 each

7. Galen Morgan

Galen Morgan Extra

ohh so lets say i get the s38s and the s center channel..when i want the surround what speakers would be a good match..i only have room for 5.1....too bad i wasnt born when our house was designed[​IMG]

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The S38/S38IIs are, simply, stunning. They are an absolute steal nowadays, but harder and harder to find.

Listening to 'em right now. [​IMG]

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Galen: then you don't need a 6.1 or 7.1 system. Don't let the marketing people get to you.

Whenever you read something on any Internet forum that sounds too good to believe, keep in mind this person could have written that message.

LJ

10. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Get the S38IIs. You can't go wrong with the prices they're going for. Just make sure you have the space for them. They're pretty damn big.

And, of course, they look kick ass with the grills off. I'm going to go look at mine right now!

11. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

You can't go wrong with the S38's; with a pair of them and a good sub, you will get a lot better sound than any budget tower near that price.

12. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Galen,

Are you close to cleveland? if so, audiocraft and audiovisions are the only "high end" shops that seem to be around. audiocraft is in lyndhurst, westlake, cleveland, and akron. audiovisions is in strongsville. audiocraft has the likes of paradigm, def tech, and phase tech...plus some others but i forget. audiovisions has B&W's, but that is all i know from them, i am sure they have more but which ones i don't know. they have martin logans also, now that i think about it.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask?

Mike

13. Galen Morgan

Galen Morgan Extra

yea i could drive to cleveland, not that far.

thanks alot guys for all of your help..i think ill get me a pair of those jbs...no my dad keeps telling me im full of crap and that his speakers..which are "Allied" and like 20 years old, maybe more..and have ohhhh 12 inch woofers!!...are so much better than these cheap little JBLs that im looking at...he says the sub has to make up for cheap little speakers that dont have any bass!

so u guys tell me...but i feel pretty confident the JBLs will sound better, specially with a nice sub.

ohh whats the best place i can get the s38s from?

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Not too shabby! And people here wonder why I am not in a hurry to buy a sub--my similar sized Boston Acoustics CR9s are flat to 42Hz, but are still reproducing bass below that point but just not as much (because a speaker doesn't just "stop" at their +/-3dB measurement point). This is in a small 12 X 14ft apartment living room, an important measurement some subwoofer Uber-Fans seem to forget. [​IMG]

So Galen, in other words the S38s would be a great choice for you.

I've noticed for myself, after listening to a movie I end up turning down an HT system's subwoofer. And consequently, the bass ends up being at a level a pair of large floorstanders can reproduce (something with, say, a couple of 8" woofers). This is fine with me as I still hate futzing with subs to get them to blend with the mains when playing music. As someone who grew up with "large" speakers like JBL Century L100s, Boston A150s and Large Advents, living with a pair of skinny speakers like Boston's VR3 or Infinity's Alpha 50 is no big deal.

LJ