Bookshelf as a center channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan_d, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

I am curious as to how well this works out especially if it was identical to the front left and right channels. In many system reviews it sometimes appears that although the fronts may perform very well it seems that often the center is not reviewed quite as favorably. One example, and one that I am interested in is that of NHT SB3s, substituting the NHT SC1 for an additional SB3. Any help if appreciated.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

There is nothing wrong at all with this. Many people don't do this because of the athestics. Most people don't want to see one bookshelf speaker standing on top of their TV. This is actually the best thing to do, its usually just not practical.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

My Ascend CBM-170 center is just a bookshelf on side. The only difference is where they put the Ascend logo on the grille.

4. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

I run three NHT S1's across the front with great results.

Bob

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Also non-shielded speakers can be an issue when too close to the screen and not all bookshelf speakers are shielded.

6. Thomas C. H

Thomas C. H Auditioning

I have seen people use center channels for mains!! This huge console that held all components,TV,bookshelves,etc had low but wide specific areas for the speakers!! THeir final choice?? Paradigm center channels!! Sounded pretty good too!! I think if I ever do a real theater,the center channel will be the same as my mains!