What's new

Books You've Read in 2007 (merged) (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The Warrior Prophet is the second book in Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. The series follows four main characters, Anasurimbor Kellhus (a Dunyain monk), Drusas Achamian (a Mandate sorcerer), Esmenet (an uncommon prostitute), and Cnaiur (a Scylvendi warlord). The first book in the series was well written, if a bit laborious and overly focused on mileau and world building. The second book, by comparison, is a 100% payoff for the 600 page exposition in the first book. The book is relentless and a vivid page turner.

Bakker has been heavily influenced by Dune. The main character (the titular Prince of Nothing) Anasurimbor Kellhus is spookily like Paul and Leto II Atriedes. His people, the Dunyain, are a reclusive order that teaches martial arts and complete emotional detachment from their humanity. On the other hand, Bakker doesn't have the skill for names that Herbert had, and the goofiness of the invented names is one of the big drawbacks of the book.

One of the most dissappointing aspects of the first book in the series was just how thin the invention was. Too many moments in the book were filled with identical real world analogues--you got the distinct feeling Bakker was talking about real world history dressed up in fake clothes. Some of the comparisons were just too close, in my opinion. But Bakker mixed it up just enough to keep it interesting. Perhaps because this second book is not so meditative or expository the comparisons get pushed to the background to the books great benefit. The unique aspects of the invention get to really shine without so much text to bog them down and the characters get to the really interesting parts of the larger history, even as their own arcs are a little less significant and compelling than in the first novel. As the story takes on more meta proportions the influence of Dune comes through again, more clearly than before.

Bakker's treatment of the battle scenes is superb, but he has a little trouble maintaining a consistent voice and point of view to show us what he wants us to see of the battle scenes, that makes for a few rough jumps and transitions between chapters or even within chapters.

Still very well written, a dark modern fantasy very much in the Martin vein, and highly recommended to those who like A Song of Ice and Fire.

Wild Seed is one of the best books I've ever read. Octavia Butler's characters and writing are deeply satisfying. Anyanwu is one of the most interesting and compelling female characters I've ever read and the competition between her and Doro is a superb narrative tension to build the story around. It's been a long time since I read a book in as little as two sittings, but I just couldn't put it down last night, even after having already read for three hours, I went ahead and plowed on, finishing by two AM.

Doro builds seed villages to breed humans with special abilities, healing, telekineses and telepathy. because of the peculiarities of his own wild mutation, Doro is immortal, something of a spiritual vampire, possessing new bodies for a moment or a year or two, but never dying himself. Anyanwu is a healer, another wild mutation, and because of her abilities is nearly as immortal as Doro. Doro wants to breed Anyanwu into his peoples to hopefully contribute her fine control over her gifts and healing ability into the other powers he's cultivated. Anyanwu struggles against Doro, both for her life and to protect the families and communities she builds up around her.

The quiet struggle between Doro's unempathetic treatment of his breeding stock and Anyanwu's attempts to build a community of people who are mature and civilized is powerful, heartbreaking and just a little bit uplifting. Like few books ever have, this book spoke to me. And I can't wait to read more of Butler's works.

Adam

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
People on HTF read? :laugh:

Ok, I'll play...and I'm as much a "Book Snob" as a "Movie Snob" :D

January 2007:

The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver
The English Patient Michael Ondaatje

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

More like a grammarical (sp?) error. :D

If some mod can change the thread title to "Books You've Read in 2007"

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Shows what I get for not checking After Hours. The funny thing is we both posted within a day of each other. I don't know why I didn't get around to making this post back at the start of January. :p Should the threads coexist or be merged? I vote for merged.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Two of my favorite and most read books. Card's Empire will probably be the next book I buy.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
DRACULA Bram Stoker - Just finished it. Ive read it three times now... I love it.

and continuing the dracula kick... Im about to start THE HISTORIAN.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Angels & Demons - Book took me a while to finish reading. I thought I knew who the mysterious figure is, thinking I figured out Dan Brown, but I was wrong on that. Not as compelling as The Da Vinci Code, but much better than The Deception Point (which is probably why we won't see another Rachel Sexton book).

Blowback - Just finished reading it. Very entertaining book, kind of like 24. I like how Brad Thor describes the various locations around the world that it takes place in, and the politics behind certain things. I know some people may have issues with some of the political stuff in it, but still, it is very entertaining book.

Next up: Harry Potter 6 (which is what I call it, instead of those long titles). :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
1776 - A terrific book covering George Washington's command of the continental army in 1776. the book begins in late 1775, when some momentous decisions were made in England, but it took a few months for them to take effect in America. 1776 begins with a surprising and rousing success at Boston, only to be outclassed, outthought, outtrained and outfought repeatedly for the rest of the year until a pair of surprise attacks in December renew the nations hope in the revolutionary cause. 1776 ends with the winter hiatus on fighting at the end of the year. Although I know what happens. I was actually anxious to find out what happens next, as though waiting for the sequel to a terrific novel with a big cliffhanger. McCullough's writing is absolutely outstanding, and his narration on the audiobook really brings his words to life. I'm listening to the abridged version of John Adams now, and the reader is not nearly as good as the author at catching the rhythm of the narrative and flow. I hope to exchange it for an unabridged version read by mccullough soon.

A wonderful piece of nonfiction, extremely enlightening and a good example on the importance of decisiveness. It's an excellent portrait of Washington (and to a lesser extent Greene) in all his flaws and strengths. An absolutely excellent history. I'd buy 1777 in a heartbeat. :)

Adam

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
January 2007
The Shadow Children Sequence
, by Haddix
Finished Among the Hidden, Among the Imposters, and Among the Betrayed in 2006. We're finishing Among the Barons this year. These are excellent

I also read Next, Michael Crichton (poor) and Treasure of Khan by Clive Cussler and Dirk Cussler (typically fun Cussler) after Christmas, finishing in 2007.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Just finished "Cosmos An Illustrated Guide to Our Solar System and the Universe" by John Gribbin & Simon Goodwin. I always find that topic fascinating. A little tough to get through some passages but the images are simply stunning.

Now reading (in addition to U2 by U2) The Truth (with jokes) by Al Franken. Funny, funny, funny!!

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Good thread. My first entry really qualifies for 2006, but it was close enough to the end of the year for me to include it.

January
World War Z by Max Brooks: I have not read Broooks' first zombie novel (yet), so I don't know if this was a bit of a different narrative for him. It was different from much of what I've read in that there was not really one particular story being told. Still, he succeeds in making a worldwide zombie infestation a believable and gripping experience.

Velocity by Dean Koontz: This is one I've wanted to read since it came out, but I didn't want to spend the money on the hardcover. Turns out I was okay making that decision. That is not to say the book was terrible or anything, it just isn't one I am likely to go back and read over and over. Fairly predictable and for some reason not as suspenseful as I expected it to be.

Prey by Michael Crichton: I had pretty much the same reaction to this as I did to Velocity. Maybe not quite as predictable since it was dealing with technology I am not very familiar with. Characters were pretty one-dimensional and cookie cutter-ish.

February
State of Fear by Michael Crichton: This was an interesting read, though I am not necessarily commenting on the quality of it. Maybe I was just being dense, but it probably took about half of the book before I really even started having a clue where the story was ultimately going. At that point it changed from establishing a couple of characters to being a bit more action-driven, but then it ended fairly abruptly. For those not familiar with the book, it deals quite a bit with global warming. What surprised me is that Crichton seemed to present the argument against global warming in a more positive manner than the other side. I believe the hardcover can be found on the bargain racks now. At that price, I'd say it is worth it.

March
The Ruins by Scott Smith: I didn't even know this was the author of A Simple Plan. Apparently there was something like a 12 year gap between that book and this one. I have just started it but so far I am pretty well drawn into it. UPDATE: I have finished this one and can recommend it. It isn't the biggest or most original story ever, and it doesn't really have a great ending, but what Smith puts his characters through does feel very real. Most of the reactions in the story come off as very honest. It is a bit gory at times, but that doesn't bother me as it is a horror story.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy: This was a haunting, moving read. The story follow a man and his son as they travel across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. There is some of the standard stuff you might expect - fighting off bands of ill-intentioned surviors and all - but the focus of the story remains quite centered on the relationship between these two. Maybe it is because I am a father and so could picture myself in these situations, but so many little things just tugged on my emotions. Some of the dialogue is so simple, yet so emotional. Highly recommended.

Up next: The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Upcoming:
Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Reaper's Gale by Stephen Erikson
The Warrior-Prophet & The Thousand-Fold Thought by R. Scott Bakker

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The Bloody Red Baron, by Kim Newman. Solid but nonetheless inferior sequel to Newman's excellent Anno Dracula. I think Newman had trouble coming up with interesting ways that mass vampirism would affect WWI, so the alternate world angle kind of fell flat. Lots of the usual entertaining appearances from other characters, though. I particularly enjoyed seeing Kent Allard in action, and I loved the Dr. Moreau/Herbert West team-up.

Speaking of Kent Allard, I also read The Shadow: The Chinese Disks. Another very good Shadow reprint, this one features a major expansion of the Shadow's crimefighting spy ring.

I just started reading Into the Volcano, by "Forrest DeVoe Jr." (actually a pseudonym for Hard Case Crime co-founder Max Phillips).

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator

I absolutely loved The Historian..although it can be a bit convuluted jumping back and forth between different decades...an excellent read...

I have been in a time warp so to speak with my reading of late. The last three books i've read have all been set in the late 1800's. The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl, Death in Vienna by Tallis, and The Dante Club also by Pearl. All three are rather enjoyable.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I just finished A Game Of Thrones (got it for Xmas), which I will echo what everyone else has said: It is Excellent. The best sword&sorcery fantasy I have ever read. But no sorcery, so I guess its a sword&politics novel. I just started A Clash Of Kings today. I heard HBO is buying the rights for a TV adaption and couldn't be more excited.

Books I want to read in 2007

*Collapse! by Jared Diamond. I reallhy liked his last book, Guns, Germs, & Steel.
*Freakanomics by Steven Levitt, heard good things.
*Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. I watched the Night Watch movie and was intrigued enough to read the book. Its good & quirky (imagine 'Law&Order: Harry Potter' in Russian).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Against all Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror - Richard A. Clarke

I listened to the audio version which was unfortunately abridged (I didn't know until half way through). Even then, this is a powerful and impressive piece of work that everyone, left or right, should read. Clarke is relentlessly fair with himself, his departments, his staff and the many presidents he worked for, though some may not like his conclusions, the book is unbiased and very even handed.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I finished Into the Volcano, which was a pretty good homage to the classic superspy genre of the 60s. I very much appreciated how the story was written straight - it's not at all a jokey Austin Powers send-up. It's written in such a way that if you had a time machine, you could go back to that era and drop it in among all those Ian Fleming, Peter O'Donnell, and Donald Hamilton novels and it wouldn't look too out of place. A sequel is coming in a couple of months, so I'll probably pick that up at some point.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I finished the other books I've been reading:

Wiring Simplified (based on the 2002 NEC, library didn't have the 2005 one)

and the David Roberts book "Escape from Lucania" about Brad Washburn and Bob Bates.

Now reading David Roberts "True Summit" about what really happened on Mauriz Herzog's climb of the first 8000m peak, Annapurna.

Jay

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I just finished reading Harry Potter 6, and then learn when the 7th and final book of the series will be coming out. I thought it was better than the 5th book, but now, a bunch of things to wrap up in the next one, and we shall see if Harry Potter will survive by the end. Hopefully, this finale will not disappoint. I wonder if there will be a spinoff series after HP ends.

I am very vague, just to be sure that I don't give anything away.

Now, I will be read The Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, which happens to be his very 1st book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks