What's new

books about vintage amps/guitars (1 Viewer)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I've got a musician friend who has a birthday tomorrow and was wondering if anyone knows of any good books about vintage guitars and/or amps. They don't necessarily have to be new as I can always scour the used bookstores.

tia.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of good books about vintage stuff. I have a great book called "The Fender Bass" about, well, Fender Basses. It's very old and out of date, but still darn cool.

NP: John Scofield "Blue Matter"

Cliff B

Agent
Since your friend is a musician, (a guitar player, from the sounds of things), there's one book that I absolutely recommend without hesitation. It's not a book about vintage instruments but I know that your friend will thank you for it just the same.
It's called:
How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great. It's written by Dan Erlewine.
I know the title doesn't sound like much but it really is an informative book. No guitar player should be without it.
If you're interested, I can get an ISBN number for you.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
He plays bass & guitar and is actually semi-famous - useta play bass in Dinosaur Jr. and is now in Sebadoh, Folk Implosion plus all his solo stuff. If you play bass, you probably (or should!) know who he is.

He usually plays a fender mustang bass so maybe I'll try and find that book.

thanks.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The best book on guitars themselves was recommended by the late George Harrison in an interview. It's called American Guitars . It has a synopsis of how each of the companies started, with B&W and color pictures. Although it does not include international guitar companies, it is not terribly flashy, meant for people who really appreciate guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks