What's new

Book suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I will be going on a trip next week to St. Martin. Its a long plane trip so I am looking for a few book suggestions. My past 2 plane flights I have read Jurassic Park and Congo. Can anyone suggest another good book that has dinosaurs or mutated gorillas eating people? :D I need paper back. I don't want to be carrying around anymore weight than I have too.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
it might not be necessarily congo but you could read "Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Sorry, can't think of any other dino/mutated gorilla books to recommend... but if you liked those Crichton books, chances are you will like most of his others... I just recently read Andromeda Strain which was excellent, I also liked Timeline (time travel into the middle ages), but you might want to stay away from Airframe since it's all about an airplane crash! :D

Oh, and I just finished The Beach House by James Patterson... also excellent and an easy read.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Any of the books by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child would be in a similar "thriller" genre:
  • The Relic
  • Mount Dragon
  • Reliquary (sequel to The Relic)
  • Riptide
  • Thunderhead
  • The Ice Limit
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities
  • Still Life With Crows (New Hardcover)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Altered Carbon and the stand alone sequel Broken Angels.

Very good noir/cyber-punk (for lack of other description).

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone. I think I might pick up the Relic. Hopefully the book will be better then that horrible movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

It is. As with most book-to-movie translations, the book is far better.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Relic is pretty good...and Reliquary's not bad either. Chricton's latest "Prey" isn't about dino's but is about using predator prey models on nanobot's...I think you'd like if if you enjoyed his other works...though I didn't find it as good as Jurassic Park.

david stark

Second Unit
If you want dino's you could try the lost world by sir arthur conan doyle. Quite an old book now, but still very good.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Gotta recommend my favorite book series... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It's sci-fi, but with that dry British wit ;)

If you like that... you can read the whole "trilogy"
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
-Restaurant at the End of the Universe
-Life, the Universe, and Everything
-So Long and Thanks for all the Fish
-Mostly Harmless

You can pick up a really nice leather-bound version of all the books at Borders for like $17. :eek:

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I am reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk and so far it's been a good read.

I'd also recommend:

White Noise by Don DeLillo
Boy Meets Girl by David Gilmour
The Sterile Cuckoo by John Nichols

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well...no gorilla's or dino's, but it is the best fantasy/historical series ever written! Check out:

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

It is 3 books long so far with #4 due out sometime (soon I hope). Truly an amazing set of books!

Todd Calhoun

Agent
Larry, you must check out the book Carter Beats the Devil

It is a fantastic story set in the world of vaudeville magic of the 1920's. I don't want to give too much away by describing it, so just trust my recommendation and get it. It is very entertaining, has some great twists, and has many parts that will just leave you with a big smile on your face. I was especially impressed with the skillful descriptions of the magic acts; it feels like you're sitting in the front row.

Also check out The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
, especially if you like comic books and superheroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks