Book shelf/CC: Polk or JBL or Paradigm or ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LowellG, Feb 18, 2002.

1. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I have been listening to several different configurations of satellite/sub combo’s and bookshelf combo’s lately. I have come to the conclusion that I don’t think I can get the music quality out of the satellite/sub combo’s I am looking for, so I am looking at good book shelf center speaker setups. I plan on starting with the front sound stage and then fill in the surrounds later. I already have a set of Aiwa surrounds speakers and 8" sub (From NSX-V70) I can use in the meantime, that’s why I am willing to wait. I just want to have a good front sound stage for starters.

I am looking at these combo’s:

JBL S-36/S-Center (no way to listen to them)

Polk RT28/CSi-30 (best foot print combo)

Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC-370 (huge center channel)

These all roughly cost around the same amount. Great sound for music and HT with the smallest footprint is what I am looking for. I am willing to look at other companies so long as they meet my criteria.

Anybody have any opinions on these combo’s, or any others? Thanks, Lowell

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I would go with the Paradigm combo. Then when you have the money you can step up to Monitor 7's or 9's and move the mini monitors to the back and have a complete surround soundstage. Just my .02

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have a pair of the Polk RT25i in the bedroom. Until last year, I had the Paradigm Mini Monitors as fronts in my main system (they now reside in the rear). My personal opinion is that the Mini Monitor's blow the Polks away. I find the Polks to sound muddy. I swear, it sounded like I had cotton in my ears. To my ears, the Mini Monitors has a much cleaner, crisper sound. And their bass extension is pretty good for small speakers.

4. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies so far. Bumping again for more opinions.

I also forgot to mention I am looking at two other speakers sets besides the ones I listed.

Def Tech

PM200/ProCenter C2

Atlantic Tech

T90 fronts and center

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I don't know about the Def Techs or Atlantic Techs, but I have listend to Polk, Paradigm and JBL's. I strongly recommend the Paradigms.

6. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Just my $.02 but I've owned 4 Polk RT25i's for about 2 years. When I bought them I compared them to some Paradigm's (Don't recall model #s but they were in the same price range) and I liked the Polk's better. Sterophile had a interesting review of these in which the reviewer stated they were his favorite sub $1k speakers. I plan to upgrade the the new polk LSi line this year or next.

Just listen to them all and decide what you like best, everyone's ears are different as well as tastes in what they like to hear.

Brian

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Out of those, I would definitely go with the Mini/CC370 setup. I was not impressed with the RT25i (haven't heard the RT28) Good tweeters, poor midrange. I didn't listen to the Pro-monitors, but the Pro Cinemas are weak at best - I was shocked at how poor they sounded for their price and reputation.

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I have the Mini Monitor/CC-370 Pair and I love them. For the price, They have the better sound and build quality. I also have the Titans for the rears and a PS-1000 sub to round things off. The Paradigms are excellent. Just give them about 200 hours to break in before you make any critical judgements.