Book Recommendation: "The Rogues' Game" (crime noir)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Greg_S_H, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    There was a write-up in the Dallas Morning News a couple of weeks ago about The Rogues' Game, the first novel by Texas author Milton T. Burton. Burton said he "blazed it off" in less than a month, and then began sending sample chapters to various literary agents. This kind of gave me hope--maybe I could try my hand at writing a novel! The feeling lasted until I was about two pages in, and I realized Burton has an ease of style and an eye for detail that I would never be able to match.

Anyway, if you like crime fiction, you might want to give this one a try. It's a pretty quick read, and it kept me wanting to read "just one more chapter." I'm kind of sorry to see it's only ranked #37,960 at Amazon. It deserves a little more recognition than it's getting. I will say that you're probably better off not reading the Amazon review, as it's best to go in cold.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

Thanks for the reading material. I'm almost done my latest book, Hit List by Lawrence Block and I'm gonna be in need of something new fast.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I know how that goes. I read the Bond books this year and was at a loss as to what to read next. I still wish I could be under Fleming's spell a while longer. Any Bond-esque suggestions? Early Cussler, maybe?

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

I can't give any suggestions for that, but I can give a good thriller series.

I've read the Atticus Kodiak books at least twice in the past year (Critical Space I read three times now), so yeah, it's my favourite book series. There are five books by Greg Rucka that are about a bodyguard protecting his client. Trust me when I say that it goes a lot deeper than that. If you like the way Lawrence Block writes, I can guarentee you'll love these books.

There's also a Queen & County book that he wrote based on his comic book series with an eerie take involving London, subway, a bomb and panic. Pretty creepy, considering the book came out last Fall.

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I'm not sure. Maybe the Modesty Blaise series by Peter O'Donnell? Or Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm novels. There was also a novel that came out last year that I haven't read yet but it's by an author I like. It's called Under the Volcano, by "Forrest M. DeVoe Jr." (his actual name is Max Phillips, one of the founders of the Hard Case Crime imprint), and it's written as a homage to 60's spy characters.

6. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

That book is already out? I picked up a flier at Comic Con for Rucka's Gentleman's Game that mentioned an upcoming Q&C book for this fall and I had assumed it was the first. What was the title of the previous Q&C novel?

EDIT- Crap- nevermind. Just dawned on me that Gentleman's Game *was* a Q&C novel.

7. James T

James T Screenwriter

Ya, it was a Gentleman's Game and he has another one coming out this Fall. I look forward to reading it in the Fall. I also do my best not to read anything about Rucka's book since each chapter has a little twist he throws in, making any plot summary a spoiler. After that, I think he's going back to the Atticus stories.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Most of these names are new to me, and it sounds like a good list of authors to try. I appreciate the suggestions.